Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Mark, Post ACL question...

Ok, so last summer i ruptured my acl and never did anything about it until after the new year. I didnt really think I did anything serious and just went on with life. On Jan. 27 i had same side patella ACL reconstruction surgery (I think thats the right term) and i have a question because i forgot to ask my doctor. I just started doing p90x and i was wondering if this was ok. I am still going to PT and everything but i need to get back in shape for riding since i haven't been at full force since last august. I really hate running with a passion and its still a little cold/muddy here in Michigan to get back on the MTB. I just don't want to re-injure my knee. The doc told me that if i were to tear the graft or screws out then i would have been F'd anyways. I have no doubts with my doctor at all. My flexion is 145 and i have had full extension for over a month now. I know when to back down because my left leg isn't very strong yet. Just wanted to double check with a Dr.

Thanks in advance

awesome thanks. Now i just have to get some muscle to build up, darn leg looks like a twig compared to my right one.

Not to rain on your parade, but I had more than 145 degrees flexion and normal hyperextension before I left Houston (5days). With gait training since day one and no immobilizer, my acl leg is just as stong (and stronger in some ways) with no visible loss in muscle size or tone since before surgery. In fact, I think some of my muscle soreness (especially calf) is due to favoring it before surgery where now I walk without a limp. Hope your recovery goes well, I might be on my bike before you are though by the sound of it.

Yeah if i had know about Dr. Mark i would have def. checked into heading down there. I personally feel like i could ride today but if i went down it probably wouldnt be too good since the stabalizing muscles are so weak. I should have went and got the surgery 6 months earlier because i just kept on re-tweaking on the bike and at work and then babying it. Before i even got the surgery it was weak, i did prehab but its still nothing compared to my right leg. Prior to the accident i was squatting 300lbs (no more plates) 20+ times. We live and we learn, who knows maybe ill wreck it again then head to houston next time haha.

Dr. Mark, I was wondering how the acl reconstruction surgery compared to clavicle surgery in terms of pain. I had a plate with screws to repair my clavicle and had some significant pain afterward. Just wondering.

The post operative pain is more related to the way you are wired than to anything else.

I can't say I have had many MXerpussys.

LMAO! I think I might be a MXerpussy. My knees hurt, but I was/am strong as could be. Able to perform all that Doc asked of me and more than he promised. Able to return to work the following week as promised. Able to walk and flex my knees same day of surgery. I've had no other orthopedic surgery to compare it to, but I think the kind of 'ability' and 'mobility' Doc offers immediately after surgery would be difficult if the pain were too much.

The knee surgery hurts like hell, but nobody wants to be the P*ssy that can't do what Dr Mark and Ed tell them to do. Competitive nature of athletic people. I think its a game for those guys to see how much pain people will inflict on themselves.:):banghead:

I do like the results though.

Thanks guys.

If anypussys tear their ACL, I know more than a few docs that will perscribe an allograft, tight brace, crutches, bottles of percodan, a new TV remote, and an admonition to sell that two wheeled thing before you get killed on it.

Pleasepussy's don't look to Ed, Robert, and I for a fix.

The knee surgery hurts like hell, but nobody wants to be the P*ssy that can't do what Dr Mark and Ed tell them to do. Competitive nature of athletic people. I think its a game for those guys to see how much pain people will inflict on themselves.:):banghead:

I do like the results though.

LOL!! I have to agree.

I can't repeat on this site the things that Dr. Mark was saying to me to make me laugh and get me to relax as he was folding my legs in half the day after surgery.

They are awsome people and do outstanding work. I could barely walk and was in excruciating pain but I refused to do anything but walk into that office on my own two feet. Good thing there wasn't a fire, because speedy I wasn't.

My wife and I both agree that going to see them was the absolute best thing that I could have done for my torn ACL.

Dave

Dr Mark, I recall hearing that your patients are usually out for 3 months after acl reconstruction (i mean off the bike when i say out). I'm thinking this is what my doc says. My question is, is this pretty true for most cases? I'm 20 and very athletic, I know it comes down to rehab and hard work but have you had any cases where your patient was ready to go in less? Also, how much is your acl used when riding as compared to sports like basketball? I know theres a lot of standing/sitting but theres no cutting as there is in b ball.

Most Docs tell you 9 months to a year. Which is why I went to Dr. Mark to begin with.

People heal at different rates due to a lot of factors, but I doubt you'll get any surgeon to accelerate his timeline just because you say you're athletic. In this case, Dr. Mark is a Sports Med. All he typically works on is athletes and all of them are, you know... athletic.

If YOU choose to accelerate YOUR timeline, then that's YOUR choice. Therefore he cannot be held liable when it all goes to hell and you have to go and get it redone.

I know I wouldn't want that tongue-lashing from Dr. Mark when he had to re-do the surgery because I screwed it up by not listening. If you've ever spent any time talking to him, you'd understand.

Dave

Dr Mark, I recall hearing that your patients are usually out for 3 months after acl reconstruction (i mean off the bike when i say out). I'm thinking this is what my doc says. My question is, is this pretty true for most cases? I'm 20 and very athletic, I know it comes down to rehab and hard work but have you had any cases where your patient was ready to go in less? Also, how much is your acl used when riding as compared to sports like basketball? I know theres a lot of standing/sitting but theres no cutting as there is in b ball.

I talked to alot of other sports surgeons who work with little other than athletes. I was told 9 mos to a year for most activity. I was told at least a year for MX. The results Dr. Mark promised (and delivered) were unable to be matched by any surgeon in the NW. If I'm mistaken, let the Dr. I missed come forward. I did my homework and tried to avoid to avoid traveling so far. But in the end it was a petty issue in the matter. Even the doctors who woulv'e preferred the PTG procedure told me 1 year.