Sign in to follow this  

K&N test

I know most of you all are anti K&N because you feel that it lets dirt and dust into your engine. have here been any dust flow tests comparing a K&N to a foam filter with a dyno or No-Toil oil?? I am sceptical because K&N was founded by early riders of the Baja 1000. thank you

i made the mystake of buying a k&n air filter for my WR.it was hard to put in the air box and once in there it did not seat right,there was a 1/8" gap betwen the filter and rim! took my bike to a local shop and the tech almost spit in my face!

"These things have more air flow but let a lot of s**t through.if you race and have sponsors to buy new engines then put it on, but if not return it or throw it away!"

its still sitting in my garage.

I have one on my bike but I also put that extra seal ring too and so far so good:thumbsup:

I will change mine out to a uni when i do full dirt with lots of dust like in the desert:banana:

I run K&N's in my car, truck and R1.....but the DRZ lives in the dirt so just to play it safe I run a Twin Air.

back in the day, popularity in the desert was they would still flow some air clogged with silt, and you could keep going, vs, paper filters or even some foams that would clog with silt and make you stop.. Engine longevity and dust injestion was secondary concren. I know Al Baker XR's showed way more sand blasting on the back of the intake valve and stems using K&Ns vs. oiled foam.

back in the day, popularity in the desert was they would still flow some air clogged with silt, and you could keep going, vs, paper filters or even some foams that would clog with silt and make you stop.. Engine longevity and dust injestion was secondary concren. I know Al Baker XR's showed way more sand blasting on the back of the intake valve and stems using K&Ns vs. oiled foam.

thats exactly what one guy told me

I've always thought that K&N was a road based performance filter, designed to replace regular paper filters. It's main attributes have always been a smidge more air flow & thus an apparent performance increase by running your engine a tad leaner than stock. The other attribute is that it is cleanable & reusable.

So for SM or mainly road use they are fine IMO. For off-road use, I'd stick with the standard or an uprated foam air cleaner.

I've seen various tests in the past done scientifically that show that a K&N filter is as good if not better than any standard paper filter element, all for road based applications. Never seen them compared with Foam filters !

As far as increased flow, it really depends on the application. Because they are sized and made to fit different applications and space constraints K&N's sometime flow less than other filters. My KLR650 is an example.

I know a guy using the K&N on his crf (also member here) and is perfectly happy. We only have about 2 months of dust though, so it's probably fine.

ive run both twin air and k&n back to back down the same road,same night ,same conditions.i made more topend speed with the twinair by about 5km/h

worth .5 to 1hp on a drz to run a KN.HOWEVER if run enough oil them to filter fine dirt like a foam filter does that negates the power gain.

I bought a foam UNI for one of my bikes because a test showed it flowed more air and another guy verified it on his dyno. Never used it after holding it up to the light. The sides are dual layered course-fine, but the back of the filter is course ONLY. No wonder it flows more air!

Not bagging on UNI because they are not all built that way. But this one was.