Are Project Bikes Even Worth It? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Wanted: Recommendations on inexpensive taillight/brakelight & speedo for 2005 CRF450x

I did the research on making my 450x street legal in Colorado, and all I need now is a taillight/brakelight and brakelight switch, and a speedo. (I already have or have sourced the DOT tires, mirror, and horn) I have seen that many of you use the trailtech Vapor with great success, but wondered if anyone has used an inexpensive analog... when my previous Vapor died on my XR650R, I just replaced it with an analog that was bulletproof.

As far as the taillight is concerned, I figured I should get an undertail with a plate holder and wire it to a brakelight switch. Is this a difficult task or easy? If anyone has posted a walkthrough on the steps I would appreciate it. thanks in advance for your responses.

This is the analog speedo I had on my XR650R, but I used only on the street. Anyone run this cheapo on their bike?

05-9047Lg.jpg

It's for sale here for $52... can't get much cheaper than that I bet.

So are you wanting to be 100% legal on the roads or are you lookin to get from trail to trail in Mt towns?

I have not yet done this but will be soon. Three other people I know had no problems with it either. You need 3 things: VIN inspection from a dealershit($20), your certificate of ownership/bill of sale, and your proof of insurance. You wont have to take the bike to the court house for inspection. They will give you a plate and you will be good to go. This means you can have your stock 450X on the road BUT it will not have the DOT tires, signals, brake light, hi/lo beam and mirror. (blah blah blah) So if you are out riding, you will have a plate on your bike but can still be harrassed for not having things on the list of crap above. Even if you had all the goods on your bike, what does one do when they go to a gas station or another store for a few min? Do you chain your bike to a concrete filled steel post or what keeps some prick from hoping on and bolting off on your pride and joy?

I havent got the goods yet because I spend 10 min on maintained roads. Ride to a trail head and that is it. As it is I have no plate and have never been pulled over even when a sheriff/ranger passes or follows me. Could be luck, could be I dont raise hell till Im out of sight from the law!

I dont think there is a real correct way to go 100% street legal cheap. Im pretty sure a speedo is not needed by law too.

BTW, where in Colo are you? Im in Pueblo West. I ride Springs area from time to time since the area known as PMI which is five min from me is horrible. But once the snow pack is gone I head to Tin Cup, Taylor, Crested Butte, ect. So many great places to ride, hope it can stay that way!

This is the analog speedo I had on my XR650R, but I used only on the street. Anyone run this cheapo on their bike?

I put this speedo on my 2005 right after I bought it new. It has about 7,200 miles so far (picture is old) and the speedo has performed without a problem.

I have checked the accuracy against the GPS for speed and it is dead on and I have noticed that during dual sport rides using a chart holder, that the mileage is dead on right down to the tenth.

IMAGE_213.jpg

Thanks for all the great info, gents. MotoXXX, I live in Golden west of Denver, so I spend about 20 minutes heading west into the canyons on twisty roads, then make my way through the mountains on a variety of interconnected trails all the way from Idaho Springs to Central City, Rollinsville, Winter Park and beyond.

I just went to the DMV last week, and they gave me a checklist hat I needed to have signed by a dealer showing that I met all the legal requirements to get a plate. That new checklist includes:

1. DOT tires

2. headlight

3. taillight

4. brakelight

5. mirror

6. Horn

7. Speedometer/odometer

I have a friend who runs a small moto shop nearby, and is a certified Gas Gas dealer, so he may be able to squeak it through. But honestly, I would prefer to have the legal stuff anyway. I have had waaaay too many tickets on my XR's, and I don't want to do anything that makes me a target, even if it is from trail to trail.

That is completly understandable. If I were going to be on the road for that long I would do the same. Thanks for confirming the speedo for me, I was not too sure. And I also forgot about the horn!

Thanks for all the great info, gents. MotoXXX, I live in Golden west of Denver, so I spend about 20 minutes heading west into the canyons on twisty roads, then make my way through the mountains on a variety of interconnected trails all the way from Idaho Springs to Central City, Rollinsville, Winter Park and beyond.

I just went to the DMV last week, and they gave me a checklist hat I needed to have signed by a dealer showing that I met all the legal requirements to get a plate. That new checklist includes:

1. DOT tires

2. headlight

3. taillight

4. brakelight

5. mirror

6. Horn

7. Speedometer/odometer

I have a friend who runs a small moto shop nearby, and is a certified Gas Gas dealer, so he may be able to squeak it through. But honestly, I would prefer to have the legal stuff anyway. I have had waaaay too many tickets on my XR's, and I don't want to do anything that makes me a target, even if it is from trail to trail.

You have a high and low beam on your stock headlight. I don't know the rules of your state when it comes to headlights, but you might be able to just use that. As for brake light and brake switch you can do what Tattooart said. Those Baja designs one can take a beating. if you don't want to use the baja Designs one you can buy a taillight that looks just like the rear stock light, but then you will need a plate holder that will last and I have not seen a lot that can take a beating. As for mirrors, you can get a cheap acerbis mirror for about $20. I have to tell you they suck and you can't see much out of them. The cool set-up is the mirror handguard set-up Highway Dirt Bikes makes.

mirror_in.jpg

mirror_out.jpg

Baja Designs has a nice LED taillight setup for about $60 plus the brakelight switch for another $20.

I don't run a speedo, so no recommendation for you on that.

I say don't cheap out on the speedo. Get a Trail Tech Vapor or an ICO dual sport computer. They multifunction capabilities that may come in handy, for example a trip meter and I think the vapor has a temp guage. BajaDesigns has a complete brake kit for the X, taillight, brake switch and harness in one package. They even carry a high/low switch that can be easily wired to make the stock headlight do high/low. Give Mike or Diego a call and they should be able to do the whole package for you, they even carry that speedo you have pictured.

I say don't cheap out on the speedo. Get a Trail Tech Vapor or an ICO dual sport computer. They multifunction capabilities that may come in handy, for example a trip meter and I think the vapor has a temp guage. BajaDesigns has a complete brake kit for the X, taillight, brake switch and harness in one package. They even carry a high/low switch that can be easily wired to make the stock headlight do high/low. Give Mike or Diego a call and they should be able to do the whole package for you, they even carry that speedo you have pictured.

Thanks for that info... if the Vapor is more reliable than Trail Tech's older electronic speedos, I might go for it. I have just had several of their older ones break on me so I started thinking that a simple analog would be the way to go. I will give those guys a call.