Speeding Ticket on DRZ with 13/47 gearing!

So, I went to band practice last night and then had a couple of beers at a bar near band practice. I leave the bar and have a 20 mile cruz on a road with zero traffic on it at this hour. It's about 1230am and I'm doing probably 75 or 71 if you go by the inaccuracy of the stock speedo. Next thing I know there is a CHP behind me with lights flashing. There was no one else on the road so of course he was after me. I pull over and take the helmet off and here comes two officers asking the typical questions. "Is this your daily commuter? License and registration please! Is that dual exhaust on your bike? Do you know how fast you were going?" You know the usual stuff. I tell him I was doing about 70. He says he clocked me doing 89 miles per hour, with 13/47 gearing on! Now you tell me who is high!:banghead: I told him that was impossible with the gearing I had on the bike and that I could have been doing maybe 75 tops. He ends up writing me the ticket for 80 in a 55. That bastard,? I am going to fight this one. I hope he does not show up in court.:banghead: So the next time you are on the road with 13/47's be careful, you could get a speeding ticket.

Never, Ever tell teh cop ANYTHING. When you said you bight have been doing 75, you admitted your guilt and that WILL be on his report to the judge.

Lawyer up......

I got pulled over the other day. Cop said 50 in a 35.

Asks me if I knew how fast I was going. I told him no I didn't, but that I'd be happy to slow down.

No ticket.

Never, Ever tell teh cop ANYTHING. When you said you bight have been doing 75, you admitted your guilt and that WILL be on his report to the judge.

Lawyer up......

I got pulled over the other day. Cop said 50 in a 35.

Asks me if I knew how fast I was going. I told him no I didn't, but that I'd be happy to slow down.

No ticket.

Good point, but I'm not going to get a lawyer over something like this! If he does show up for the court date then I will plea no contest and go to traffic school!?

I have often wondered just how accurate/inaccurate the speedo is and have also wondered, could you take a bike to a speedo shop and put the front end on the rolling test unit and have a car or another bike spin it and check to see just how bad it really is??

We don't have anything like that here but when I lived in the LA area I knew of a shop in Redondo Beach/Torrance that had such a test unit. If that could be done you could find out what it is really reading and MAYBE use that in your defence??? Just thinking out loud here.

I have often wondered just how accurate/inaccurate the speedo is and have also wondered, could you take a bike to a speedo shop and put the front end on the rolling test unit and have a car or another bike spin it and check to see just how bad it really is??

We don't have anything like that here but when I lived in the LA area I knew of a shop in Redondo Beach/Torrance that had such a test unit. If that could be done you could find out what it is really reading and MAYBE use that in your defence??? Just thinking out loud here.

Your better off to get a GPS and ride with it. You will then notice how far off the stock speedo is. Mine varies from 3 to 8 mph off of what is true.

Your better off to get a GPS and ride with it. You will then notice how far off the stock speedo is. Mine varies from 3 to 8 mph off of what is true.

I agree but will a GPS be legal in court?? I know the old El Camino I had was way off and the guys there got it to be 100% accurate and I even got a certificate proving so and I used it in court once and it helped me get out of a ticket but that was a LONG time ago!

In my book it would be cool to know just how bad it really is.

It's about 1230am and I'm doing probably 75 or 71 if you go by the inaccuracy of the stock speedo....... I tell him I was doing about 70.

The only problem I see, is that you gave them a reason to pull you over.

55 mph speed limit

Coppers don't have anything else to do at that hour, especially if they're not mating with hookers in the back of their squad cars.:banghead: :banghead: And, you just happen to just ride by.

Just be glad they didn't smell the couple of beers on your breath. That would've given them a reason to give you more hassle.

Do you think they would've pulled you over if you were doing 55-60mph?

Good luck on the fight!?:foul:

show proof of it's inablilty to do that speed with gearing and your rev limiter, etc.

if you know it, show it!

--keith

That is exactly what I was thinking. If I had some gearing/top speed charts for the Z that might help out. I know I was wrong and was speeding but that does not mean I want to pay the $300 plus fine for a speed that I was not going.

you should've asked him to show your speed locked in on his gun! that'd have him sweatin balls i think ?

seriously, if you truly know it won't do it, show it! it proves reasonable doubt, and therefore, you win!

give it a go!

--keith

Just go in and tell them,

"Look Your Honor, I told the Patrolman I was only doing about 70 mph.

Besides that, here is a chart I got off the internet that proves I my motorcycle can not go 80 mph."

Man, there is no way a judge can find you guilty based on that!

You have an iron clad case if I ever saw one.

Rokko, you will still get a fine if you were going 15 over and you were, I doubt you'll get rid of that unless you CAN prove that you didn't (which I have no idea since I dont' understand this stuff) but trying to get rid of it might be more trouble than it's worth UNLESS the lawyer is free.

Also, the insurance thing might or might not be an issue depending on how bad you've been before.

Now, what the hell were you doin' drinking and drivin' you dumbass?

1, You could have messed someone else up

2. Considering you were on a bike, you could have messed yourself up and I for one would have missed the diamond plate pics man ?

If I said I would have missed you it would have been gay and I've got enough stigma on my ass already :banghead: