Sign in to follow this  

03 525 on road gearing and suspension?

I just picked this bike up. It is plated and I do plan to ride it on road from time to time. 10-20 miles max. It's an mxc. so what gearing should I use. I dont ride hard off-road just some sight seeing in the desert so I am not really worried about hurting it off-road.

Also the susp was done for a 185lb person and lets just say I am MORE then that.

I have an 00 300 exc. Question are the forks the same? If so I will just change them from bike to bike as my 16 year old will be riding the 300 now and is 150lbs.

Thanks for the help.

I am pretty sure the forks are different but can be changed if you also swap out the TRIPLE clamp.

Gearing for road and desert would put you somewhere around 14/48. Lots of highway 15/48 or 45.

I just picked this bike up. It is plated and I do plan to ride it on road from time to time. 10-20 miles max. It's an mxc. so what gearing should I use. I dont ride hard off-road just some sight seeing in the desert so I am not really worried about hurting it off-road.

Also the susp was done for a 185lb person and lets just say I am MORE then that.

I have an 00 300 exc. Question are the forks the same? If so I will just change them from bike to bike as my 16 year old will be riding the 300 now and is 150lbs.

Thanks for the help.

i run 13 50 on my 525 MXC about 90% of the time, if your going to do some road work 14 50 would be a good compromise for both,the fork may not be a direct bolt on as I think the axle size's are different, maybe not, but the springs may swap, but remember the heavier 525 will need heavier springs than the 300 even though you are the same weight. i would just spring both bikes correctly for each rider. you can find plenty of used springs on ktm talk.

Mike