Need some help on this one 1991 XR600 PLEASE!

I have been looking for an XR600r and found a 1991 that is in decent shape. New rings (it was smoking and power loss) the owner did this himself. I did notice looking at top portion of head there were two small(dime size)black carbon spots side by side. Could this be a head bolt loose?

Now here is the big question...while he was riding it he caught the kick stand on something and tore it off from the frame, so there is a hole in the frame now. What is the best way to fix this if I were to buy it? All the plastics are good no rips in seat and it has a desert tank, which I wouldn't want(would trade someone for a stock tank). Newer tires...he is wanting $800 for it. This seems like a good deal. I had a XR 600 before and sold it and was thinking about an XR 400 but don't want to go backwards in power.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ryster

I do have an opportunity to buy an XR 500 frame with kick stand still on it for $20, could I cut out portion of frame with kick stand on it and weld in (wire feed)the piece to the 600? And would/should I remove motor?

thanks

ryster

You should be able to do the kickstand mount swap. I think that they are more or less the same. I almost had the same thing happen to me. My frame had a few cracks around kickstand area. I bet this happened on this frame and then eventually something tore it off when there was only a little metal holding it on.

It's always best to remove the engine when welding something like this. If you leave the engine in your access is quite limited. It's not that hard to remove. It's just heavy.

Be sure to go over the whole frame looking for other cracks. The headtube and the upper shock mount are good places to look over closely.

It can be kind of difficult welding. The frame tubes are thin and the kickstand mount is about 1/4 inch plate.

My thread from last year when I fixed mine before it got ripped off https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637373

I had an XR200 that had the eye out of the kickstand mount ripped off. I sold the bike a while ago, so I can't show you any pics, but I welded it back together. I did have the engine in the bike, but I spent a good hour putting crap on the bike like cardboard to cover everything. Welding will spatter little metal drops all over and totally make your bike look like crap. Also, had to grind the paint pretty far back or you will burn the paint and it smells. Probably toxic too. The weld also won't be clean and you risk messing up your frame, so do it right if you weld it. Then repainting it was a pain too because I didn't want to get paint on stuff it wasn't supposed to go on. You can do it, you just have to do it right and it takes some patience. I had to bend it a little to get it in the right spot too. Good Luck! ?

thank you...the whole kick stand mount bracket got pulled right out of the frame and there is part of the frame missing. I think I will get the 500 frame and cut the kick stand mount out and then pull the motor out of the 600 and wire feed it in. thanks again

if you are looking at a bike with a "hole in the frame", then I might call that a "parts bike".

you have to weld a piece back into the structure of the frame? yikes !!

I think $800 is a bit high... bikes with --nothing wrong with them-- are ... $1200 ??

there is a '91 xr600 here in NJ that hasn't sold for 2 months.. $1000. and the guy works in a bike shop !

Just my 2 cents.... But then again, I've been called a cheap S.o.b. ......

Depending on where the hole is located, you might be able to heliarc or TIG weld the peice on. It's alot lesser heat and no sparks. I had an 85 XR600in 86 and would put the kick stand down to aid in starting it and it eventually broke off and I removed my tank and put a leather blanket over the rest of the bike and TIG'd it up and it held fine. I also agree with exdirtbiker too, $800 for a 20 year old bike with a hole in the frame is pretty steep, plus you said you saw black on the head somewhere? I'd offer 4 or $500 tops, there is a few around here, one inpaticular that is a pretty nice 87 with low hours for $900 and the guy can't give it away. Just a thought but if all the dude did was replace the rings, chances are it should be taken apart and reworked correctly.

Original poster - If you can, you really should post pictures of the items in question. It just helps you get more accurate suggestions.

And no way $800 for a bike with a damaged frame. MAYBE $500, but that would be if the rest of the bike was in great shape. By the sounds of it, the current owner is a moron and you would be best to keep looking.

I didn't even see the part about the motor "maybe needing help".

My 88 xr600r needed "a little help".

it cost $1200 before I was done. in 1994. The piston skirt broke apart, but it was still running "ok" when I bought it. ( I didn't know this... or how much power they were supposed to make !! )

then the top of the rod didn't look right.....

then 3rd gear was pitted.....

It gets real "spendy" real fast.

It might take a few weeks, but I think you will find a better bike on C-list soon.

edit... maybe you can get the bike alot cheaper, and get a frame from fleabay???