Sign in to follow this  

4t vs 2t?

I've been riding 05 450r set up for hare scrambles for about 3 years and I guess Ive got new bike fever. I'm wondering how a 2 stroke would handle vs the 4 stroke. The four stroke gets heavy after 2 or 3 laps and I'm about dead. Everyone I ride with rides ktm but I can't complain about the honda...it's a perfect bike...just wondering what everyone thinks.

thanks!

Have you looked at the Huskys? They have what I consider an attractive line-up for hare scrambles. wr250? TXC450 (e-start)

i have heard that 2 strokes are awesome for hare scrambles. i loved the chassis on my 07 CR 250 2 stroke, the motor needed some work but overall i loved the bike. you could pick up a used 250 2stroke for a great price and spend not much setting it up for hare scrambles and still keep your 4 stroke then decide which to sell. i bet you could get a real clean bike and after the mods still be under 3k. not sure if that is an option for you but may work out real good. i know ktm is giving great deals on left overs and there demo program you can get smokin deals plus the power parts package they give is about 1500 worth of stuff

I've just made the move from yam 250f to ktm 200xc.I was very nervouse about it but was gettingtired of all the maintainence on the 4 stroke. First thing I noticed was how light and flickable it was.two different types of power but pretty equal . A little more shifting on the 2t.In our tight woods first second and third pretty much could cover eveything on the 2 im always shifting up and down,my quick summary so far I love the 2 t and it will be a lot less maintainence and cheaper to keep running

The e-start KTM 300 is badass and can probably be lugged like a 4-banger. The 200 would be killer for flicking around in tight woods.

Have you looked at the Huskys? They have what I consider an attractive line-up for hare scrambles. wr250? TXC450 (e-start)

Great bikes for sure. Another smoker to think about is the Yamaha YZ. Still made brand new to this day. Install a WR 3-4-5 gearbox and enjoy unless you don't like moddin' a bike to suit your style. However, your CRF must be great bike too. Get both and decide from there.:)

this is a very debatable topic right now.

as for me, i made the switch, and i cant complain (09 YZ 250)

I went to a place called Highland Park in Cedartown, GA. Offroad park with lots of single track. i let a friend ride my crf and i rented an 08 ktm 300xc.

well, has to be the best bike suited to its element in stock trim that i have ever ridden. in my opinion it will keep with, if not burn a 450. brakes are phenominal, and they twist through the trees like nothing. lots of torque.

i race motocross so i bought the yamaha, but for you the ktm sounds the way to go. not to mention that a ktm 2 stroke piston will last a long time, generally i have heard well over sixty hours on it...maybe wrong but i also read only 30-40 on a yamie

rebuilds a lot cheaper, light , flickable, fast...new

Get a Ktm too. I did, and love having both worlds at my reach. The KTM is so much lighter handling than my 450 in the tight stuff, but I still love the awsome power of the big 4s in the open. Have to decide what you need! Good luck. :)

much thanks! I actually rode at highlands park but didn't rent a bike. There must be something about 2t ktms as almost everyone rides one at the hare scrambles!