Sign in to follow this  

Creating a pipe

Hey there Im wondering if anyone knows how exactly a company like FMF or Pro Circut take a stock pipe and improves it? I have a few destroyed pipes and want to take them to shop class and try and take the dents out then maybe improve them. If anyone has any suggestions Id like to hear em, Im not expecting anything awsome just somthing cool to do in school.

They don't start with a stock pipe. They build them from scratch. There are a few programs on the internet that help you design your pipe for a desired powerband. Do a search on Mota, their pipe application is free to download. Then you can build it and try it on your bike.

I hate to resurrect an ancient thread, but I've done a few. Here's my take.

1) Designing and fabricating a pipe is NOT an easy task. While there are plenty of programs that will tell you the dimensions of the pipe you'd like to build, none of the programs will tell you what works best.

2) Pipes are designed to be most efficient at a given RPM. Any more or any less and they're off. Everything is a compromise.

3) You've built the perfect pipe when you have to move major engine components and it cooks the rider's legs off.

4) Programs will spit out the dimensions for a strait pipe - not curved. Bone up on your math skills.

5) Find/buy/download all the two stroke engine design/theory books you can. Whip out the calculator and design some VERY basic pipes on paper before you ever touch one of the programs.

6) Power valves make the task of designing a pipe infinitely more difficult. Regular piston port designs are hard enough.

7) Be ready to cut and weld at least a few dozen times.

8) Have deep pockets for dyno time.

9) Just because it makes big number on the dyno doesn't make the bike fast around the track. A 300 RPM power band is nearly useless.

10) Read, study, calculate, and become a nerd before you touch a piece of pipe.