Sign in to follow this  

Stupid ? about seat cover

I'm wanting to get a black gripper seat cover for my kx100. Do these just go over the old cover or do you remove the old one and staple the new one down? I'm guessing the latter to keep that thing from coming off, but I figured I'd better find out.

Yes take the old one off and staple the new one down. Watch the length of those staples though. Too long and they will go through the seat cover.

Yep, pull the old one off and staple the new one on. A second person to hold while you staple makes the job a LOT easier. So does one of those staple guns that is backwards--the handle is over the part where the staple exits, instead of at the other end of the gun, so you can get more power into it. It also helps to toss the new cover in the dryer for a few minutes so it's easier to stretch and work with.

Ok, excellent, thanks! I, of course, have the other kind of staple gun! Thanks for the tip and about the dryer. As soon as it gets warm again I want to put on a new seat cover and the new, black plastics.

I guess I don't have enough patience, but I started putting my own cover on and gave up. Took it to a shop that does boat upholstery and for $20 they did it for me. Took all of the aggravation out of the whole process! $20 well spent!

Pneumatic stapler is the bomb-digity as well for the job. I used to stretch convertable tops on cars, so putting new seat covers on isn't too bad for me. Although, I do feel like I am wrestling with it at times because it seems I end up practically straddling over top the thing and workin' all around it, etc.

Or like KTMMotogirl recommended as far as an upholstry place.

Good luck!

So it sounds like it's more of a pain than I had guessed. Ok, there's a local upholstery shop that I will call for a price. Thanks for that tip as well!

I guess I don't have enough patience, but I started putting my own cover on and gave up. Took it to a shop that does boat upholstery and for $20 they did it for me. Took all of the aggravation out of the whole process! $20 well spent!

I'm like you :banghead: pay the $20 :)

My son just puts the new one over the old one. The seat cover doesn't move being over a different one. But should the outside cover ever get a rip or tear - just remove it and you got the old one there ready to go. I never thought about it but it makes sense. I always removed the old one too. But it's all up to what you want to do.

I've done it twice, and put the new gripper over the existing cover both times.

It also helps to toss the new cover in the dryer for a few minutes so it's easier to stretch and work with.

AH HA! Great advice!!!!