Sign in to follow this  

chain

so the other day i went ridin and it was kinda muddy so when i got back i pressure washed the bike. i dont think other then pressure washing the chain to get all the dirt off, there is any other way. so ever since i did that (Lubed after dryed) there has been rust on the chain.. i wd 40 the chain, then i chain lube the chain, but i cannot seem to get the rust off the chain. its not bad rust at all, its just visible. also when you spin the wheel by hand how easily does yours spin. mine spins for about 2 seconds.. thanks guys

Since I run non o-ring chains, I'm able to absoluty blast mine w/ high pressure. I'll then ride the bike down then back up the street to wring some/most of the H2O out of the chain then lube the mofo w/ WD-40 then Silkolene. You have to lube chains as soon as you're done in wet conditions or else you end up rusted real quick. I really lay the lube down on my chains, but my chains last too.

I'd get a wire brush and put your bike on a stand then start the bike and if the rear will turn in N, just let it roll around, apply some WD-40 and set the wire brush on it. You'll loose some rust just from riding too.

Its a common issue with standard chain, even if you lube it. I run the DID gold chain and it doesn't rust at all.

yea sorry forgot to mention.. its a EK X ring, so there is no O-rings but special grease is inbetween the links. so actually im not sure presure washing it is good at all..

I run both the DID and Renthal MX non-oring chains with no problems. I also pressure wash my bikes. I keep the direct blast away from the bearing seals and electrical. After cleaning the chain with the pressure washer ride the bike a few minutes or run it on the stand to sling off the excess water then lube it good. I can get a full season of racing out of a pair of chains.

yea sorry forgot to mention.. its a EK X ring, so there is no O-rings but special grease is inbetween the links. so actually im not sure presure washing it is good at all..

There is still an "o-ring" in that chain, its just called an x-ring because a cross-section of the ring would look like an X. It is supposed to reduce friction while increasing the sealing surfaces to prevent dust from getting in.

Typically o/x-ring chains will have more resistance than a non o ring chain, simply because the o-rings cause drag.

A pressure washers isnt going to do much to your chain unless you get the nozzle right in there and blast at point-blank range.

The surface rust is not going to come off unless you are willing to scrub the entire chain with a brass brush or something.

Remove the chain and and lay it out on a clean newspaper (make sure it isnt all coiled up)...then grab one end and lift then chain off the ground. If kinks or bends remain in the chain when it is hanging down...then you have bindings issues caused by grit or lack of lubrication. If you lift the chain, and its own weight straightens it out...then you are good. This does not apply to determining if the chain as worn or stretched passed it service limits.

Bear in mind the new o-ring chains will bind a bit until they are broken in.

Lastly, lube the chain when it is warm, you will get better penetration. (yes I am still talking about dirt bikes.) :)