Sign in to follow this  

New to the YZ250F and dirtbikes in itself...

First post on here !

I just got me an '03 YZ250F a week ago, all new to these things and to riding on 2 wheels with an engine, I have maybe about 6 hours of riding time and it's starting to feel a lot better already. Been riding my YFZ450 quad for 2 1/2 years now so it's quite a change.

I have just one problem on it right now, the seals are busted and it's been leaking oil since I got it, where is a good place to get new seals and is it a pretty complicated job or could I do it myself, do know quite a few things about engines and other stuff just not forks and shocks yet... Also, any special tools I'll need? Thanks

when you say seals im assuming that you mean fork seals. the TT store sells them pretty cheap and if you have never done it i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. call up some local shops and see what they would charge you. compare their prices with http://reconmx.com and go with the best deal. and Congrats on the new bike their awesome!

I wouldn't do just the seals alone. You should put in new bushings as well. Rebuilding front suspension is easy, im going to attach a how to video. However the rear shock is some kind of voodoo science, I can't find any free video's on rebuilding the shock. Race tech sells one though.

I wouldn't do just the seals alone. You should put in new bushings as well. Rebuilding front suspension is easy, im going to attach a how to video. However the rear shock is some kind of voodoo science, I can't find any free video's on rebuilding the shock. Race tech sells one though.

Thanks, I just might end up doing it myself, looks quite simple actually.

Would you do that only if the seals are leaking?

At about 40+ actual riding hours it's generally maintenance time for suspension, a full rebuild is usually in order. The rear shock is usually good for bushings and seals for a good 80+ hours, but the forks wear out fast. I find it pointless to take your suspension apart completely to change the seals, but not spend another $30 and rebuild the fork.

It's recommended that the fork and shock oils be replaced every 20 hours for best performance. That's for MX people mostly though. If your a trail or casual rider you can probably get away with longer intervals.

there was a how to artical in the last dirt rider mag, i used it to do my rear shock for the first time, i thought it was eazy, less work than the forks.

you should be able to do both ends yourself.

rear shock needed no special tools,the artical called for one, but i found it not necessary, for the front you just need the seal driver.

there was a how to artical in the last dirt rider mag, i used it to do my rear shock for the first time, i thought it was eazy, less work than the forks.

you should be able to do both ends yourself.

rear shock needed no special tools,the artical called for one, but i found it not necessary, for the front you just need the seal driver.

Do you know what month or issue number it was? I remember trying to find one in town with no luck. I would like to call them up to order that issue.