Sign in to follow this  

2003 YZ250 Suspension HARSH

Ok, i have this yz250, it has springs in it for my weight, but i think the guy before me told me it was valved for MX.

I ride alot of trails, and when i get more comfortable on the bike, track.

The bike is very harsh. I have the clickers set 2 away from the maximum out setting.

The rear isnt real bad, i can just stand up for that. But the choppy, harsh, BAM BAM BAM of my handlebars is killing me.

Is there any way to try and solve this?

BTW, its valved and sprung for my wieght ( guy before happened to weigh as much) and i have set my sag.

Its a 2003. Any way to soften this baby up a little without spending too much cash?

Try turning the clickers in to about the middle of the range, 10 clicks or so. Lots of people find that going way out on the compression makes the forks fall into the mid-valve area, and you get a much stiffer ride on small sharp bumps. My 05 is much smoother in loose rocks at 9-10 clicks out than it is at 18 clicks out (been down that road before).

The overall answer is REVALVE. Riding MX and riding AZ rocks are about as different as you can get with suspension requirements.

I had an 03 and hated it! I tried all sort of things with the forks and could not get them right. I got rid of the cylinder valve and turned the mid into a check plate design(local tuners idea). Still was not happy. I'd be sending it to someone who totally re-manufactures the set up on these forks as I think its flawed. I like some of Dave J's ideas I'd be calling him. Don't use Race Tech their ideas don't work on this fork! Went down that path :) Good luck and get a flywheel weight it transforms the bike in the woods.

MM

MM

I had an 03 and hated it! I tried all sort of things with the forks and could not get them right. I got rid of the cylinder valve and turned the mid into a check plate design(local tuners idea). Still was not happy. I'd be sending it to someone who totally re-manufactures the set up on these forks as I think its flawed. I like some of Dave J's ideas I'd be calling him. Don't use Race Tech their ideas don't work on this fork! Went down that path :banghead: Good luck and get a flywheel weight it transforms the bike in the woods.

MM

MM

thats encouraging. :)

Worry not crazyzilla, your suspension can work well. The suspension on my 02 YZ250 (same quirks stock as yours) works very well now. MX-Tech did mine back in 03, and I have been very happy with the performance. I'm sure that there are others that could get the job done, but I know that whatever they did to the forks, they work well.

Ok thanks. Is there someone who really knows what theyre doing with this? I have full pro-action suspension and stuff, valving and all, but i hear theyre not the best.

what are your clickers set at exactly? you might be packing the front end, but a stiffer front end is alright because you're heading to the track right? if its completely unbearable, you can put some lighter fork oil in there. as soon as you get faster you're gonna want stiffer suspension.

thats encouraging. :)

Sorry never meant to be negative but the forks with the cylinder valve 03/04 (as far as I know) are less than average. So much so most companies have redesigned how they work in order to get them working properly.

There is heaps of info on here about the open chamber cylinder valve forks. I'm not saying you can't get them to work but just be careful about who you use. Race tech's method of removing the cylinder valve and turning the mid into a check plate is no good it makes the forks like the older generation forks.

I still have cylinder valve forks on my 04 YZ250f and am in the process of trying to keep them supple but not blow through the stroke on big hits. For the woods they are fine but in m/x they they turn into bottoming monsters that are not consistant. I'm about to put up a post about the mid valve in them and ask for a bit of advice if the increase in cartridge pressure due to this will make the cylinder valve issue worse. The 03's use an elastomer bottom system wich is also not too flash I changed mine to a bottoming cone set up which was better. If I lived in the US I'd buy a second hand set of Twin chamber forks off ebay and use them they are far better imho.

MM

Ok, i have this yz250, it has springs in it for my weight, but i think the guy before me told me it was valved for MX.

I ride alot of trails, and when i get more comfortable on the bike, track.

The bike is very harsh. I have the clickers set 2 away from the maximum out setting.

The rear isnt real bad, i can just stand up for that. But the choppy, harsh, BAM BAM BAM of my handlebars is killing me.

Is there any way to try and solve this?

BTW, its valved and sprung for my wieght ( guy before happened to weigh as much) and i have set my sag.

Its a 2003. Any way to soften this baby up a little without spending too much cash?

I have an 01 yz250 with the same suspension as an 03. I just do not think that there is a WORSE suspension available for trail riding. I was so upset and disappointed with my bike that I considered updating the forks and suspension to 07 components. BUT... then i had a conversation with DaveJ.

I sent him my stuff and its great now. Suspension is not an issue and I am worried about other things. I race offroad desert stuff, lots and rocks, huge whoops and sand. Lots of really nasty things to run into.

Today was my second race on the new suspension and I rode further and faster than I ever have before.

Talk to DaveJ.