Sign in to follow this  

oil level (Oil window)

new to the bike , new to 4 strokes,

question

the little oil window, when the bike is stone cold should u just see a hair of oil at the bottom of the window, and how much after its been running approximately.

I ask because the bike was bought from a shop recently, one would assume the oil is fresh and has been changed, that's what I was told anyway, but I'm making sure because I don't have the manual.

When mine is stone cold the window is full (settles) then once I start it then it goes to the mark!!

oh yeah i have an 06

I would drain the oil and change the filter. Put 34ozs back in it and your fine. Don't go by the sight window on these bikes. Get a ratio rite cup and you know everything is good.

I would drain the oil and change the filter. Put 34ozs back in it and your fine. Don't go by the sight window on these bikes. Get a ratio rite cup and you know everything is good.

:):banghead: :banghead:

I use my window everytime, fill it to the line, wait a minute or 2 check it if its at the same level, start the bike, shut it off re-check it a couple minutes later, if you need to add alittle do so if not your good to go. Bike must be on a stand and it needs to be on level ground. Im too lazy to get my ratio rite everytime...:)

thanks guys appreciate it, last thing I want is to blow up a bike I just bought

maybe I don't see it but I don't have a line on my window? Shooud I

maybe I don't see it but I don't have a line on my window? Shooud I

I fill mine to where there is just a little tiny bubble left on the window when sitting on the stand.

I don't have a line on my window either.

Just fill it to where there is oil in the window and go ride.

I fill mine to where there is just a little tiny bubble left on the window when sitting on the stand.

Same here, but I check it again after I warm the bike up.:)

Ratio right cup.. 1000 cc's never go off that site glass oil can be trapped anywhere..With a ratio rite you know FOR SURE its perfect no second guessing or checking done deal.Just my .2 cents

that's where it is now, just a bubble in the bottom, good to know and ride I will

that's where it is now, just a bubble in the bottom, good to know and ride I will

My bubble is "air" and it is at the top of the window when bike is at rest on stand.

The window tells you if you have SOME oil in there, and if it still looks like oil. That's all.

I've got a 1 liter retail oil container with a clear measurement strip up the side. So I can both carry and measure oil with it. I take care to drain the old stuff out of both holes, when fully warmed up, then put in the amount written on the sticker next to the fill hole depending on filter changed or not.

Typically, after running, but engine stopped, the oil is below the sight glass and you have to lean the bike about 10 deg to the right [oops did say left first time] to see the oil. Typically.

gotcha gonna do my first oil change today, so ue saying I should warm the bike up before chaging the oil to get it all out? I bought a steele oil filter, reusable I'm going to chuck in as well