Sign in to follow this  

Jumping a 450X

Does anyone jump their 450X? I have a 2007 450x and am use mine for mostly trails but am starting to take it to the track a bit too. I can hit most of the doubles and tables. I would like to eventually work my way up to hitting some small ramps for fun. Is the 450X capable of taking me through some of this learning phase until I can afford another bike for this purpose?

If so is there anything I should do to my bike? I am running mine stock right now, and am looking to upgrade components regardless.

Getting your suspension set up just right is crucial for the track. With the added stress on a suspension that isn't designed for that type of abuse, you should consider revalving and heavier springs front and rear. Send your shock and Forks out to Factory Connection with your weight, height, riding style and other preferences and they will set it up for you. It makes a huge difference, and only costs around $200.

One other upgrade to consider is ASV breakaway levers, unless you already have wraparound handguards. Nothing breaks faster at the track than stock levers.

You would use a 450X on the track? I'll never be a strictly track only rider, I love the headlight as I often ride late into the evening.

I use to ride the track all the time (till it closed:cry: ) IN STOCK form

It does good till you get to about the 20-25 foot mark. Untill you can get a revalving just increase the compression a couple clicks and jump away.

If the track isn't too big (jumps) I feel the 450X is a good bike cause it makes traction in places MX bikes spins out, at the novice level.

:)

I'm not much of a jumper and really only get air by accident but it's not the 450X it's me. The 450R does seem to land a little better and launch easier but I'm still no jumper.

coobair.jpg

:):banghead: :banghead: There are a couple of genuine fast guys on 450X bikes who post here regularly (not calling you guys out or anything:ride: ) who get huge air on the 450X. Here's another pic of what my lard ass looks like much of the time:

bottomed.jpg

:):banghead: :banghead: There are a couple of genuine fast guys on 450X bikes who post here regularly (not calling you guys out or anything:ride: ) who get huge air on the 450X. Here's another pic of what my lard ass looks like much of the time:

[ATTACH]10147[/ATTACH]

Thanks Cubera, you really made me feel better. I'm plenty fast, but I really like staying connected with the ground. I don't get it, when I was young, I would air a BMX bike like nobody's business, but on the MC, just don't like the feeling. Every once in a while I accidentally air it out, but when I have a choice, I try to stay within about 12 inches of mother earth.

Thanks Cubera, you really made me feel better. I'm plenty fast, but I really like staying connected with the ground. I don't get it, when I was young, I would air a BMX bike like nobody's business, but on the MC, just don't like the feeling. Every once in a while I accidentally air it out, but when I have a choice, I try to stay within about 12 inches of mother earth.

I'm working on trying to maintain momentum and checking up before a jump too much costs lots of momentum. That's how I end up getting accidental air:ride: :):banghead:

I'm working on trying to maintain momentum and checking up before a jump too much costs lots of momentum. That's how I end up getting accidental air:ride: :):banghead:

With me it seems to be road crossings. I ride Stoddard a lot, and the race course there has gotten quite deep. Even though I know the area like the back of my hand, I sometimes come across a huge road crossing or berm and have no choice but to launch. BLM really should do something about these, or get the race promoters to do something. Of course, the worst areas are the ones where there is no growth, so everything kind of blends in. You can't see the lip until you are right on top of it. Makes for a nice pucker. 5th gear pinned, I came across the middle of a berm about three months ago. Lip was about 2 1/2 feet, drop was 6 feet, and there was another set of deep tracks about 20 feet out. Hit it at an angle and somehow managed to land in the other set of tracks and save it. I thought I was dead on that one.

[ATTACH]10147[/ATTACH]

Classic!!

... I've been known to come off the ground on accident... and, don't have any great pics. But, taking an X to the track... you definitely have to have TWO SETTINGS for your suspenders and how they are setup. I can't stand my X on an MX park type track... I hate it. However, as it's setup for desert/trails it's at home. I'm actually buying an older 2 stroke (for dirt cheap) to ride on the MX track, this week in fact!

Is this the bragging section of "who caught the most air this week"?!?! :foul:;

If so, here's my lame pic (on my X) on my way up; ...look at that scenery!!!

P2080648.jpg

that is the other idea I've been thinking of... Buying a cheap 2-stroke to jump around on and hit the track a bit; or a R model 4stroke.

Then setup my 450x better for trails.

What route do you guys recommend?

I think the 450R would be a perfect bike for MX as long as the tracks were long enough to stretch it out a little. If I were doing short tight tracks I would no doubt grab the cheapest Japanese 250 smoker I could find with an aluminum frame. Might have to go that way with the crumbs of my paychecks the Government leaves me since I'm in that bracket where my immense wealth must be redistributed to 5th generation welfare scabs.......but I digress.

Classic!!

... I've been known to come off the ground on accident... and, don't have any great pics. But, taking an X to the track... you definitely have to have TWO SETTINGS for your suspenders and how they are setup. I can't stand my X on an MX park type track... I hate it. However, as it's setup for desert/trails it's at home. I'm actually buying an older 2 stroke (for dirt cheap) to ride on the MX track, this week in fact!

Is this the bragging section of "who caught the most air this week"?!?! :);

If so, here's my lame pic (on my X) on my way up; ...look at that scenery!!!

P2080648.jpg

That's a great pic, JJ! Style points for you.

i have bene jumping my crf250xat the track and it is not perfect but it seems to do fairly well

That's a great pic, JJ! Style points for you.

Style... thats what it's about these days... I did the "airtime" thing for years. :) (see avitar)

... and, that pic was on our 300 mile (one way) ride . We stopped to rest, and played in the sand for a bit. What a great time.

Missed you on that one.