Sign in to follow this  

Pop rivet security for plate mounting

Are pop rivets strong enough over time for mouting a license plate on an 08+ KTM turn-down under fender mount taillight? The plate would be mounted lengthwise with two rivets at the top and one toward the rear in a triangle pattern.

I think it would be very clean, but I'm not sure about how they standand up to lots of trail abuse and even some winter MX track riding. Any experience or suggestions?

If you use 3/16 rivits with the large head and back up washers on the other side it might be just fine. We pop rivited our race car body together and as long as you make sure you use the right length, use back up washers they wiil do pretty well.

I pop rivet my plate to my jeep. I've had the bolts come loose over the years, but the rivets always needed to be drilled for removal. Get the little rivet washers, cleaner look & much more secure especially when dealing with thin aluminum & plastic. :)

durangoman, your avatar simply mesmerizes me every time I see it.

Back on topic I have used Pop rrivits for the plate on my motorcycle trailer with good results.

• Like 1

You can get a small box of stainless steel pop rivits from McMaster Carr for a few bucks if your worried about the aluminum ones getting loose over time.

I use them all the time at work and they're really tough.

Rivets works fine but i did mine with washers. Nylon screws from the auto parts store are made for plates and hold fine. #6 bolts and lock nuts will never rattle loose. With any of the above i'll tear off the mount before the tag falls off.