Throttle Return: I narrowed it down...

2006 CRF450X (all stock)

The only major thing I've done is remove and clean the carb. I had this problem before and after the cleaning.

Here's what I've tried:

-Removed and cleaned the throttle tube

-Lubed the cables a few times

-Loosened the throttle cables a little

-Manipulated the cable routing around the tank

All of these things helped a little. I think the cable routing is the problem. After fine-tuning the cables, the throttle returned as advertised. Then, when I turn the handle bars to the right (and caused the cables to bend a bit more), the throttle sticks completely. With the bars left it works great, with the bars straight or right, it sticks.

Another thought... Could I put an extra turn in the Return Spring in the carb to help the cable return? I thought about this when I was rebuilding but I didn't want to cause early fatigue of the spring.

Please let me know what I can do...

Thanks!

I have been having the same issue with mine,I have a S.U.B. mount stabilizer so my bars are slightly higher but I have found that the only solution is to loosen the (push cable) more than I would like to.Be careful not to loosen it to much as it will kink and bind in the throttle housing!Good luck

Well, at least this post covers the common remedies to a binding throttle...

Everything I tried helped a little but what ultimately worked was loosening the cable at the carburetor. I underestimated how much slack and freeplay was needed. I originally tightened the cable enough to eliminate any slack around the throttle drum. Apparently there needs to be some slack there. I followed the cable adjustment procedures in the Service Manual and let some slack out at the carburetor, then made fine adjustments at the throttle.

Great!

Thanks for the help!