Flat battery.........

I somehow managed to leave my ignition on overnight on my 08 450 and obviously when i came to the bike the next moring it was as flat as a pancake! I wasnt able to bump start it so i had to jump start it with the car to get it going. I had to use the kick start all day as there wasnt enough power to use the electric start, and even the ignition light was very dim.

The problem is i did around 50 miles of road use to charge it up but ive gone to it today and theres still not enough power to use the electric start.

Do these batteries charge with use or will i have to take it off and use a proper battery charger? Will i have done any lasting damage to the battery, or even worse to the bike itself by leaving the ignition on all night and jump starting it?

Cheers. ?

I somehow managed to leave my ignition on overnight on my 08 450 and obviously when i came to the bike the next moring it was as flat as a pancake! I wasnt able to bump start it so i had to jump start it with the car to get it going. I had to use the kick start all day as there wasnt enough power to use the electric start, and even the ignition light was very dim.

The problem is i did around 50 miles of road use to charge it up but ive gone to it today and theres still not enough power to use the electric start.

Do these batteries charge with use or will i have to take it off and use a proper battery charger? Will i have done any lasting damage to the battery, or even worse to the bike itself by leaving the ignition on all night and jump starting it?

Cheers. ?

By jumping the bike from the car you have likely smoked the battery, they will take a quick charge of 3 amp for 1 hour and I'm guessing you gave it alot more than that., you can try to trickle charge it -- Good Luck -- WR Dave

just done some research inot this and apparentyl its ok to start with a car as long as its not running?

Anyway, ive took the battery off and hooked it up to my mates oxford optimiser. It showed 3 out of 4 lights when connected so maybe i can bring it back to life! Ill leave it on overnight and see what happens. ?

Really! How does it damage it then mate as they are both 12v right? Cheers.

Even with out the car engine running the current coming into the bike battery from the much larger car battery is not regulated to the max 3 amps they recommend as a fast charge. This quick charge can damage the chemicals on the plates in the battery and cause them to not do what they were intended to. These little batteries can't take a very quick charge, so hopefully the trickle charger will get the chemicals back onto the plates where it belongs. Good Luck -- WR Dave.

Ah right ive got ya mate. Oh well hopefully it will be ok in the morning, and ill know not to do it again. ? I bloody hope it works anyway, ive just been quoted £100 for a new battery or £70 for budget one!!!!!:banghead: Fingers crossed!

Yeah thanks for that mate they look good. Not sure how much postage to UK would be though. Anyway, it seems my battery may still be alive! ? Well i checked it this morning and its now showing 4 lights out of 4 so i think its done the trick. Im going to leave it on tonight aswell and fit it tommorrow and see what happens. :banghead: