Sign in to follow this  

Sheared front brake disc bolts in half @ 25 ft/lbs. What gives?

Bought a new disc and started mounting it today w/ blue loctite. Sheared the first w/ the torque wrench set at 31 lbs (Clymer spec). Backed it down to 25 lbs and sheared another.

Are my bolts worn? I'm torquing the nut side, not bolt head, so I don't know what's going on. What torque do you guys use?

I'm not waiting on another Service Honda order to ride. I'm going to Ace and buying hardware there.

Positive. But I was wrong about something else. I have a 2000.. so you'd think I'd have to torque at 31.

But I do have Excel wheels and possibly hubs from a different year with a nut/bolt setup. I should be using 12 ft/lbs on that style. :)

Learn something new everyday..

P1010005Small.jpg

Bought a new disc and started mounting it today w/ blue loctite. Sheared the first w/ the torque wrench set at 31 lbs (Clymer spec). Backed it down to 25 lbs and sheared another.

Are my bolts worn? I'm torquing the nut side, not bolt head, so I don't know what's going on. What torque do you guys use?

I'm not waiting on another Service Honda order to ride. I'm going to Ace and buying hardware there.

Could it be that the Clymer spec is wrong??? My 00'-01' Honda manual for the CR 250 says 12 ft/lbs.

That's too much, it should be closer to 12-14 ft-lbs.

The torque a bolt requires is usually determined by the thread diameter and pitch. For a M6x1.00 bolt, the torque will almost always be around 12 ftlbs. Find a table which specs bolt torque by size and study it. This could save your ass in the future. That and brake rotor bolts don't really need to be torqued just get them good and tight. Head bolts are the most important for torque cause you'll warp it if you get it wrong.