Sign in to follow this  

?, chain length- tight... adjustable fork stops- TE 09'

looking at the fork stops on my new 09 TE450 I have a lot of room for adjustment on the bolts- but there's about 1/3" before the forks will hit the tank on each side. I will decrease that distance to decrease the turning radius. What I wondered was is it looks like the tank can slide back about 1/2" yet (judging by the bolt holding tank near the headstock- is that what people are doing?

also- my chain is too tight-too short really- there's tension when it squats- ok but my tire is already making some contact with the mudflap- so... if I loosen the chain that distance will decrease and will probably rip off the mud flap.. I was going to add a link and another master at least till the chain stretches- sound right?

oh... no miles on the bike this is setup from factory/ dealer- just in prep phase waiting for the snow to melt..

thanks in advance-:)

Great idea on the chain/masterlink (weird that you got shorted on the chain)...I like riding with my tire as far back as possible. As far as the fork stops and moving the tank back, the rear tank posts are what kept me from doing just that. So I just adjust the stops as far as they'll go before the forks hit the tank.

David

thanks for the feedback F2G:thumbsup:

thanks for steering me towards the TE too- I think this thing is going to be completely awesome!! Its friggen gorgeous! hate to torture it when the snow melts but I can't wait either!!

I would rather have my mud flap ripped off than loose the bearing on the output shaft from running the chain too tight. You can add a link, or get a smaller tire, or smaller sprocket.

My teraflex still has some room to move forward with the stock chain and it is a very tall tire. Adding a link will move your wheel back about 5/8 of an inch. Pull off the axle nut and see if you have that much distance behind the axle to move back before you bother to add a link to the chain.

honestly I probably don't even need to move the wheel back once I add the link(s)- since its already tight, but I have room to move it back if I need it. I haven't put any miles on no worries about ruining anything yet... just glad I am checking things over. I have the stock tires on- stock gears- stock chain- everything is factory at this point. 'Spose I could loose a tooth- but don't want to go to a 12 tooth if I don't have to.. Adding the links is the way to go- just weird I'd haveto do this- luckily I just bought a new chain last fall and have some extra new links saved.

guess I'll count the links? curious... Yea your tflex is friggen huge- you can't have the same chain and gears as me man!

Just for haha's. Have you checked the rear tire pressure to make sure the tire isn't over inflated? They will grow allot with pressure.

Just for haha's. Have you checked the rear tire pressure to make sure the tire isn't over inflated? They will grow allot with pressure.

actually I was thinking of checking that!!!

I was in the shop when they "set it up" and the guy was talking about riding it on the street and air pressures like 30- I said "oh god no- just put in like 10-13- I'll reset it ofr conditions" (that particular guy didn't seem to really listen to my previous set up stuff - so I bet he put in 30... ) that would be awesome- and lower the overall height some-

so many things to check and redo on new bikes- not that I am complaining- just not used to it. first "new" bike:thumbsup:

Just setting my 08 TE 250 has about 1.25 in. of clearance between the tire and flap. I do have a 14 in place of the stock 13 CS. Book says 12-14 psi for the tires, maybe 18-20 at most for avoiding flats.

Nice job catching the tight chain and other assorted post-delivery stuff before riding it and damaging that pretty new thing. You've got to be going NUTS not being able to ride it yet!:banghead:

Hmmmm, interesting discussion about clearance from tire to mud flap/shock protector. I noticed after going to the MT 43 trials tire that my flap was being worn thru. I'm thinking it's because the tire's a little bit taller than the Michelin it replaced and maybe it's expanding when I take it on the street for short hops? Guess I could move the axle back a smidgen for a bit more clearance.

Good stuff :)

Dude......don't touch it, just bring it back. Or atleast bring it back and have then give YOU the parts needed!!

Dude......don't touch it, just bring it back. Or atleast bring it back and have then give YOU the parts needed!!

Update- sorry I didn't report back- I just didn't want to bump it to the front since it made it to the second page...

I didn't have to add a link- its just real close- once the chain stretches it will probably be perfect-

here's what I did

Ok- I reset the chain- to where it needed to be (35mm slack) taken from 5.7 inches- (memory) back from the swingarm bolt. (I measured and made a mark on the slider)- Then I checked the chain- it appeared a good standard by real world terms- as it had enough slack on compression... good

Now I went back again and looked at the mudflap- its close real close- but it did not appear to actually rub it even on compression- I don't know how the marks I had seen really go there- so I left it and road it - its fine

BUT I will say this about the Fork stops/ turning radious - I adjusted the fork stops as far as they go before hitting the tank- there's more turning radious to the right that the left before hitting the tank... I really would like it to turn farther for getting around trees in tight places- my other bike is less restrictive in this area- and now that I have had the tank Off I do see that you cannot move it further back... something to get used to- unless I can get and E-axle from Recluse or a different set of tripple clamps with a tighter offset- like the TXC's... We'll see I haven't had a good chance ot offroad it yet but soon.

Yes sir- 50mm forks (single cartridge- not double cartridge- those are on the TXC), Black Excel rims, Michelin comp 3s, full Arrow exhaust, wave rotors, eveything listed as "updates" and a little more- like the airbox is shaped so it has good clearance form exhaust, Power up kit is included (everything needed), included LED enduro tail.

I have mentioned before that I am impressed with fit and finish of this husky, its my first. :thumbsup:

Cool, I figured they wrote the release wrong!!!

The infamous comp adjusters included this time???

you mean the fork compression adjuster-? I think you do because I read about a model husky that strangely did not- I forgot what model and year they were talking about-

Yes this does have compression adjustment and rebound on the forks and hi/lo compression and rebound on rear. Its got everything- I mean everything I think you can drink the coolant if you get thirsty- its blue-raspberry I think... least it looks like it:busted:

It was the 610's that did not have the adjusters, but some of the advertisements said they did.

Update- sorry I didn't report back- I just didn't want to bump it to the front since it made it to the second page...

I didn't have to add a link- its just real close- once the chain stretches it will probably be perfect-

here's what I did

Ok- I reset the chain- to where it needed to be (35mm slack) taken from ??7?? inches- (memory) back from the swingarm bolt. (I measured and made a mark on the slider)- Then I checked the chain- it appeared a good standard by real world terms- as it had enough slack on compression... good

Now I went back again and looked at the mudflap- its close real close- but it did not appear to actually rub it even on compression- I don't know how the marks I had seen really go there- so I left it and road it - its fine

BUT I will say this about the Fork stops/ turning radious - I adjusted the fork stops as far as they go before hitting the tank- there's more turning radious to the right that the left before hitting the tank... I really would like it to turn farther for getting around trees in tight places- my other bike is less restrictive in this area- and now that I have had the tank Off I do see that you cannot move it further back... something to get used to- unless I can get and E-axle from Recluse or a different set of tripple clamps with a tighter offset- like the TXC's... We'll see I haven't had a good chance ot offroad it yet but soon.

I didn't notice any appreciable wear on my mudflap until the trials tire was installed. I don't know if it's because it expands in diameter on short 50-60 mph bursts on the street or if mud/crud gets packed in there off road. Some have suggested adjusting the rear axle back if chain allows or else lengthen the chain so adequate clearance is obtained in front of the tire. HTH