Sign in to follow this  

How do I remove this cap?

I am trying to get into my silencer so I can repack it.

Ive taken the screws out that were holding the cap on, but is there anything else I have to do to be able to take it off? Will pulling on it with vise grps damage anything?

I believe its a ProCircuit 304 silencer.

IMG_1622.jpg

probably riveted in. You're going to have to drill out the rivets and then re-install.

Wait. WHAT?

Im not sure I understand what your saying.

Arent you supposed to be able to take it off easily?

maybe its just the rubber around the seal holding it on there. take a razor and cut it out, then try to pull it out.

he said they were screwed in and he took those out already, it looks pretty old and corroded it is probably just stuck on there, maybe try throwing some WD-40 at it and you may have to pull on it with a pliers or vice grips or something, you might scratch it but whatever.

But by pulling on it Im not going to damage anything.

Ill go put some DW40 in it now.

Hmm. Its on there good.

I tried WD40 and I tried twisting and pulling with vise grips.

There were 2 screws by the cap that hold it on, but do I have to take off the ones that are further down at the end of the silencer?

Hmm. Its on there good.

I tried WD40 and I tried twisting and pulling with vise grips.

There were 2 screws by the cap that hold it on, but do I have to take off the ones that are further down at the end of the silencer?

Yes, you have to take the screws/ rivets out in the front of the silencer.

The core is attached to the pipe, the can should slide off once you remove the screws.

Watch this http://www.dirtrider.com/adventures/protips/141_0309_repack/index.html

Sometimes I tap the back of the bolt on mounts with a rubber mallet to get the silencer to come apart.

you gotta grind off the rivets, hell i can see one in the pic.....yes i know, they design shit stupid these days

The end cap will come off without removing the rivets from the inlet end, and the core is attached to the end cap.

If it has never been removed, the silicone sealer that the factory used is still holding it. Heat it with a propane torch to break the seal and it will come off.

Holy Fudgking Smokes!

My hands are purple, I cant feel my fingers, and Im sweating terribly.

I noticed after about 20 minutes of pulling that it moved ever so slightly with every like 10th pull. So I kept marking it with a marker to see if it moved. And after 45 minutes, the thing finally popped off and I fell back on my butt.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the core thing out to get the packing on it.

I thought it's supposed to come apart at the input side of it, and you leave the very end on?

I really really really really really really hope not.

So to get the core out I have to undo the screws at the front of the silencer?

I dont think you even have to take off the end cap part, you just take off the end that attaches to the header, all you have to do is take out the bolts and hold onto the little part that attaches to the header and pound on the mount with a rubber mallet and it will eventually just pop off. I'm not sure if you have to take out the rivets or what.

I've never done it that way, but it might be kinda hard to do because if you didnt pull the core out, then its gonna probably be hard to put the packing in without wrapping it around the core and putting it back in.

Wow, I wasted the whole time taking that cap off. I just pulled the actual silencer body off in like 4 seconds.

Oh well, now I know.

Yay I was right!. It's been a long time since I re-packed a 2 stroke, lucky guess.

Usually what I did was wrap the new packing around the core (after cleaning it very well) , then lightly tape it with masking tape. Install it back into the can and the tape will eventually burn off.

Thats a good idear. I was thinking about that but didnt know if it would hurt anything.

Thanks doods.

Now my bike is ready for the track opening this weekend! Wahoo!