Sign in to follow this  

Checkmate Toast.... What Now?

My checkmate is done for now, what is the best alternative to using a computer?

send it back to ICO, thy have fixed them for me in thw past, other wise I guess its a watch, odo, and jart chart, like the old days

Mike

I sent it back today but I don't have a odo. Is there still a way to keep time? This is my first enduro so I don't know what to expect.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is your first enduro.

Watch the row ahead and the row behind, stay somewhere between them, and enjoy the ride.

I did one last weekend where I programmed something wrong. I knew it was wrong before the start but was out of time to fix it. At about mile 45 it went back to zero miles and started over. It did not matter. I kept an eye on the row ahead and behind and stayed between them.

As is typical of Enduros around here, the first sections can be easily zeroed, there are few checks, and the resets are long. The whole point of the first 50 miles is to wear you out. The last 15 miles was at a 30 mph speed through some really tight twisty rooty single track that looked like it had been cut the day before. THAT is where the race was. They restarted us into that section; all you had to do was go as fast as you could, there was no way a mere mortal was going to get ahead.

The AA guys lost around 6 minutes in that section. I think I lost 15.

Being able to run the WHOLE thing is WAY more important than staying "on time"

Thanks for the good advice. Sounds like I will be lucky to finish. Our C class mileage will be less than the A class, I think ,so I should finish. Either way I think it will teach me a little more about the whole time keeping thing and how to program the checkmate when I get it back.:)

Yeah, C class mileage is usually not bad (around here, anyway)

Please don't underestimate how physically demanding it can be. Nothing will prepare you for riding at speed for a couple of hours except riding at speed for a couple of hours. If you can find a way to do that at home before the race it would be well worth it. I have a 20 mile loop nearby, it takes an hour and half. I try to be able to do that twice in a row getting ready for a race.

Have fun, quit just BEFORE you get hurt:smirk:

Just talked to a buddy of mine he said the C class does the whole 70 miles :):banghead: I've been hitting the treadmill and have 30 plus years off road experience but never did an enduro so who knows. Your last comment is the best advice anyone can give. You gotta know when to say when:thumbsup:

send it back to ICO, thy have fixed them for me in thw past, other wise I guess its a watch, odo, and jart chart, like the old days

Mike

:)

you bought a Checkmate before you did an enduro?

I would try to find a regular ODO and do the Jart/ODO/watch thing and do that for a few races, It will help you alot once you start using the Checkmate.

you bought a Checkmate before you did an enduro?

I would try to find a regular ODO and do the Jart/ODO/watch thing and do that for a few races, It will help you alot once you start using the Checkmate.

I've done acout a dozen enduros and I still get by with just the odo and jart chart. Its not great or easy, but you can do it. Stay on time and look for the speed changes. When you see them, slow down read them and then carry the speed.

You'll do pretty good. Roll your chart forward about 4 or 5 minutes at a time and slow down and take a peek. Look out for blind spots around corners and at he bottom of down hills. There could be checks there.

Now.. I'm not a guy that zero's a bunch of checks. But this will at least keep me somewhat close. If I was actually fast enough to burn a check, then I would think about an ICO.

Its actually fun to try to do it the old school way. You won't be as accurate as the guys with the computer, but you may enjoy the cerebral part of it.