Sign in to follow this  

How to separate chain

Hi,

got me a chain tool which looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Heavy-Duty-Chain-Breaker-Tool-415-530-type_W0QQitemZ370168428461QQihZ024QQcategoryZ32628QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I´m trying to shorten my 520 did-vx chain.

Every time I try to press the pin out of the chain it just moves out of the link. After that, it can´t get past the bushing / roller and the link gets bent.

What to do?

Chris

wich ever pin you want to press out you need to grind the pin down flush with the edge of the chain and then press it out.

I´ve been using the grinder & hammer & punch solution before and bought the chain tool to end this.

Is there no way to use this tool on the road?

Chris

I´ve been using the grinder & hammer & punch solution before and bought the chain tool to end this.

Chris

You could carry a file with it, for on the road :)

Chris

Yes you can get it to work with out filing or grinding. Its not pretty but you can press the pin one direction until the end breaks through the chain link and the press the pin back the other direction. The pin will usally bend the out side link, which you will not need because you are replacing it with a master link.

I have the same tool. just keep bending the link you dont want to use and then slide the chain off. thats the way ive been doing it. (no grinding or cutting)

A air powered muffler cutter does a great job on the chain pin. A cheap one from Harbor Freight will work fine

A air powered muffler cutter does a great job on the chain pin. A cheap one from Harbor Freight will work fine

He is trying to figure a way to break a chain during a day of riding. As he put it "on the road".