Sign in to follow this  

why run a sub mount???? if I'm only 5'9''.

so i'm not a tall guy, I have a 2006 450exc and considering going to a top mount instead of a sub mount. I currently have the sub mount set up and i have had it since the bike was new. I took the sub mount off and i like the way it feels to have the bars lower. if you are around my height which do you prefer and why???

I am only 1/2" taller and love the sub-mount as it raises the bars a bit to allow for better ergo's while standing up. The other reason is I can put on a bar pad of some sort for protection. Suffered a near fatal accident in 2002 when my neck contacted the bars after a step-down putting me in intensive care for 8 days...just a psychological thing I guess.

is anyone running a sub mount with a low bend bar? if so what brand and model bars?

My buddy wants to do that. He's vertically challenged and wants to slide the forks up a little more but the bars are in the way. Between that and some flat bars, it should work out. He has a set of Synergy X-bushings on order to lower the rear.

Sean :)

I am 6'0" and run a GPR V4 (sub mount) with Renthal Twinwalls (McGrath)...awesome for everything from wide open dez to technical single track.

jv

I do both sit and stand, since i already have the sub mount i might look at buying low bars.

Im 5' 8" I have a submount scotts with the cr low subtank bars. I like the way it feels standing and sitting. I didnt like the stock bars withe the submount. I figured if i needed bars i would spring for the subtank system. Good choice. I ordered it from KTM HUTT.

Im 5' 8" I have a submount scotts with the cr low subtank bars. I like the way it feels standing and sitting. I didnt like the stock bars withe the submount. I figured if i needed bars i would spring for the subtank system. Good choice. I ordered it from KTM HUTT.

Can you post a PIC of your bars? I have been looking for lower bars to work in conjunction with a bar riser(1.5") This so I can slide the forks up and lower the front for my short legs. I will be using the X bushing on the rear to level out the bike.

is anyone running a sub mount with a low bend bar? if so what brand and model bars?

I run a sub mount with a Pro Taper Suzuki low bend - this brings the bars back to approx. stock height.

I'm about 5'9", I have the Scott's sub-mount on both my bikes, and both have the Pro Taper Contour "universal lo" bars too. These bars brought everything down to within about 1/4" of stock height.

Oh yeah, like others have said, the "WHY" is because I don't want to get beat up by my steering stabilizer in a bad crash. Another reason mounting my Checkmate with the sub-mount is the same as before I got the Scott's.

I ran the sub mount on my 530 exc, and my crf450r. mostly cause I didn't want to get smacked by it if I happened to body check the bars... I have the big adjuster knob, and still have full access to it on either bike.

On the crf450r, I put on the pro taper universal low bars to bring it back to stock height, and on the 530 exc I still have the stock bars. I am 5-11, and after riding the ktm for a while, the honda feels like the cockpit is very tight in comparison.

In hindsight, I probably would have gotten a bar closer to stock dimensions to raise the crf450r up a little, and open the cockpit. having the taller bar is also much nicer when riding while standing up.

Sorry i dont have any pix of my subtank bars. They r made by TGT. Distributed by moose. Sold at KTM hutt. Im sure if u search around u will find the pix and info u need to make your decision.

I am 5'10" and have switched all my bikes to sub mounts. CJ