Sign in to follow this  

Idle down!

I just got my 04 yz250f and went riding last weekend. The bike ran good but it would take alitle bit for it to idle down after giving it some throtle. Is there a air leak? Or could the carb be out of adjustment?

check your hotstart cable to see if its sticking. then check for air leaks and clean your carb.

Thanks I know the the hotstart need to be adjusted. Now i just need to clean the bike and than the carb.

Your pilot circuit is running a bit lean. Try turning out the fuel screw a little to richen it up. But don't go more than 3 turns out otherwise the fuel screw can fall out. If you get to 2.5 turns out and it's still not cured, try a one size larger pilot.

That's called a hanging idle. Lots of times when you adjust the idle speed you'll reach a point where you'll get a hanging idle. A little faster idle and it'll stay high, a little slower idle and it'll drop right down to idle speed like it should. So the first thing to try is just turning the idle down a little bit.

Jack

Ive tried turning both the idle and pilot and it does make much of a difference.

hopefully tonite i can clean my carb and strat from there.

I have the same bike. It did the same exact thing when i got it. For what its worth i cleaned the carb turned the fuel screw a little less than 3 turns out and turned down the idle. Now its fine. good luck

I cleaned the carb and when taking out the hotstart it didnt come out easy. I think the hotstart was stuck open. Before i thought the cable needed to be adjusted but i think i found the problem.