Some pictures of my CR500

I got the 95 CR500 out for the first time in probably a year today. I didn't do much with it but fired it up and rode it around the yard and just let it warm up. This was built by Eddie on this forum and I bought it off of him right after everything was rebuilt a few years ago. Other than the exhaust everything looked brand new. He basically just rebuilt the whole thing not just the motor.

I forgot how fast this thing is. I've been riding the R1 for a while now as it's just easier to fire up and ride since I have to load the dirt bikes up and take them to the land or to a track. This thing scared the heck out of me. It made the R1 feel slow. I opened it up and thought I was going to flip it backwards. Man this thing is wicked. I don't remember being this afraid of it last time I rode it. Of course I looped it once and since then I've been a little hesitant to get on it. I've not ridden this much other than fire it up a time or two in probably 2 years. The DRZ I've ridden once or twice in that time but a gasket went bad so I haven't fixed it yet.

Since the gas has been in it for probably 2 years or so should I drain it and change it? Or is it okay to just let it burn up? I've heard about the oil and the gas getting separated over time. That was what worried me.

The bike started right up after a few kicks. At first it wanted to bog when I hit the gas but after a time or two it ran great. After idling a bit it died and seemed like it didn't want to crank back up. Would fire up then die. Kicked it over a few times and gave it a little gas and it fired right back up and ran pretty good the rest of the time. I probably only had it running 5 minutes or so.

Just enough to get it out and ride it around the yard and take some pictures.

I want to get back into dirt bike riding and I also need to get the DRZ put back together and ready to ride.

Anyway, on to the pictures

CR500andTruckMarch122009001.jpg

CR500andTruckMarch122009003.jpg

CR500andTruckMarch122009006.jpg

CR500andTruckMarch122009011.jpg

For those of you curious here are the dyno charts from when I got it.

CR500HPRPM-1.jpg

CR500TQRPM-1.jpg

I know I need a tank that isn't yellow. I also need a seat cover as mine looks like this.

CR500andTruckMarch122009007.jpg

When I looped it out a couple years back I did that as well as tweak the bars but they aren't bad. It's still perfectly rideable just the look of that seat cover bugs me.

I have another gas tank that is slightly yellow but I'm not sure that it's as bad as this one has gotten. I don't know if I should swap them or just leave it or try to find another one or what. The tank and the seat cover are what bugs me about it. A few other things like the fender and stuff are scratched and the rear fender not 100% straight but that's because the exhaust pushes it up on one side.

Here is a video of it also. Lets see if this works.

th_CR500andTruckMarch122009033.jpg

The frame is painted the color of the DRZ frames. It was one of the few things re used when it was rebuilt. I was painted the color of the DRZ frames though. Almost everything was new when I got this bike. The exhaust was the only thing I could tell wasn't new. He was building it for himself but decided to sell it. This was a few years back and I was lucky enough to snag it up.

Great looking bike! It would probably be best to drain and replace the gas. There was probably a little build up in the carb that may have caused the bog if it was already warmed up good; you might want to clean it out too. My 2001 hadn't been ridden in nearly a year and I had to clean the bowl out as some varnish like build up was around the main jet.

I may take the carb apart. Seemed like it had no bog once warmed up though just when I first fired it up. I need to get to work on it. I don't know why but I've gotten to where I just dread working on bikes. I think that's part of the reason I hardly ever ride the dirt bikes as they seem to require constant work. Although, I will say the CR500 has been the best and most reliable bike I've ever had. Well, dirt bike that is. Fourwheelers included.

Dont be lazy change the gas, and clean the carb it definetly has build up. Mind saying what you paid for it?

To be honest I don't remember as it's been a few years. It wasn't cheap but it wasn't horrible either considering it had been gone over 100% and anything that could wear was replaced. It basically was a new bike when I got it other than the exhaust and stuff like that which didn't matter. I'd say it was a 98% new bike when I got it. I think with shipping and all it was close to $3000 but honestly I don't remember it might have been slightly cheaper than that.

I got the 95 CR500 out for the first time in probably a year today. I didn't do much with it but fired it up and rode it around the yard and just let it warm up. This was built by Eddie on this forum and I bought it off of him right after everything was rebuilt a few years ago. Other than the exhaust everything looked brand new. He basically just rebuilt the whole thing not just the motor.

I forgot how fast this thing is. I've been riding the R1 for a while now as it's just easier to fire up and ride since I have to load the dirt bikes up and take them to the land or to a track. This thing scared the heck out of me. It made the R1 feel slow. I opened it up and thought I was going to flip it backwards. Man this thing is wicked. I don't remember being this afraid of it last time I rode it. Of course I looped it once and since then I've been a little hesitant to get on it. I've not ridden this much other than fire it up a time or two in probably 2 years. The DRZ I've ridden once or twice in that time but a gasket went bad so I haven't fixed it yet.

Since the gas has been in it for probably 2 years or so should I drain it and change it? Or is it okay to just let it burn up? I've heard about the oil and the gas getting separated over time. That was what worried me.

The bike started right up after a few kicks. At first it wanted to bog when I hit the gas but after a time or two it ran great. After idling a bit it died and seemed like it didn't want to crank back up. Would fire up then die. Kicked it over a few times and gave it a little gas and it fired right back up and ran pretty good the rest of the time. I probably only had it running 5 minutes or so.

Just enough to get it out and ride it around the yard and take some pictures.

I want to get back into dirt bike riding and I also need to get the DRZ put back together and ready to ride.

Anyway, on to the pictures

CR500andTruckMarch122009001.jpg

CR500andTruckMarch122009003.jpg

CR500andTruckMarch122009006.jpg

CR500andTruckMarch122009011.jpg

For those of you curious here are the dyno charts from when I got it.

CR500HPRPM-1.jpg

CR500TQRPM-1.jpg

I know I need a tank that isn't yellow. I also need a seat cover as mine looks like this.

CR500andTruckMarch122009007.jpg

When I looped it out a couple years back I did that as well as tweak the bars but they aren't bad. It's still perfectly rideable just the look of that seat cover bugs me.

I have another gas tank that is slightly yellow but I'm not sure that it's as bad as this one has gotten. I don't know if I should swap them or just leave it or try to find another one or what. The tank and the seat cover are what bugs me about it. A few other things like the fender and stuff are scratched and the rear fender not 100% straight but that's because the exhaust pushes it up on one side.

Here is a video of it also. Lets see if this works.

th_CR500andTruckMarch122009033.jpg

That is VERY sweet!! I have a 1987 I just bought for a "project." Dang things are fast !!!!!!!! Anyway,,,,I just did a carb job for a kid that had left gas in his tank for 8 months! It is oil injected, so I dont know if that makes a huger difference, but it had almost 1/8th of an inch of varnish in the float bowl!! We had to get a new pilot, because I couldn't get the junk out of it!! SOLID clogged!! It was a 32, so its not hard to clog, but it is better safe than sorry.......Clean the crap out of that carb and change the gas !!!

Great looking bike! I have had 3 cr500s (85, 88 and 89) as well as an 05 CRF450R. The 450 has nowhere near the power the 500 has but it is much easier to handle and a longer spread of power.

I have been toying with the idea of getting another 500 but they are rare here in Idaho. You will never get bored riding a 500 that's for sure.