Sign in to follow this  

kx85 cylinder

does anybody have a kx 85 cylinder for a 2002 model they want to get rid of? must be a good used cylinder. i recently bought one in need of a top end and i took it to the machine shop and they said they would have to ship it off to go get new niickel liner and then hone it out and they said the grand total for that work would be about equal to the price of a new one. before i look on fleebay i was gonna see if anybody had one on here they had laying around. post up with what you got.

does anybody have a kx 85 cylinder for a 2002 model they want to get rid of? must be a good used cylinder. i recently bought one in need of a top end and i took it to the machine shop and they said they would have to ship it off to go get new niickel liner and then hone it out and they said the grand total for that work would be about equal to the price of a new one. before i look on fleebay i was gonna see if anybody had one on here they had laying around. post up with what you got.
They're feeding you a line of crap. You can send the cylinder to any re-plater (US Chrome, Milleniium Technologies, etc.) and have it re-plated for around $200. No honing is neccessary, and it will come back better than new.

Keep in mind, those engines tend to eat lower rod bearings if not fed lots of oil. They should be run on at least 30:1. Many people try to use ratios like 40/50/60:1 because the read it on an oil bottle, so you could end up spending the money for a new top-end just to blow the bottom-end out. If you don't know the history of the bike, at least have the bottom-end checked by a knowledgeable mechanic.

yea i figured it was a crank bearing that got chewed up and it was because the rod is moving up and down. so im in the process of rebuilding the crank. but the top end is my only problem right now with a big gouge out of the cylinder wall