Sign in to follow this  

To All Those With Throttles That Do Not Snap Shut At The Bar!

I found something very interesting on my bike today and have talked to several people having the same problem on several year CRFS. It’s when your Throttle does not snap shut when you release it suddenly. Now i am not saying this is the fix all end all, but check this before you pull your tank and lube / replace your cables and all that. I switched to a set of new Renthal Fatbars and in doing so I had to switch over all of my controls. When I snugged the throttle assy clamp down and rolled on the throttle and expected it snap it shut, it slowly rolled shut. I loosened the throttle assembly up and checked it out and discovered when you snug the throttle assembly down with it slid all the way onto the bar end it drastically effects the way the throttle snaps back from friction between the bar end and end of the throttle control tube. You don’t really notice it when you roll it on but if you slide the throttle assy on all the way and then back it up a 1/4 of an inch or so this problem totally goes away. I didn’t lube my cables or do anything else and my throttle now snaps shut just like it should. Did the same thing on my friends 05 and fixed his problem as well. When you take a soil sample or digger if you prefer, on the throttle side it jams the assembly further down the bar, which is what I think the cause is. Or if it is mounted wrong like i was about to could also cause this. Hope this helps. -Mike :)

Thanks mate, I think most people alrady know this though.

But good for those who dont.

not even 1/4 inch. 1 mm more like it

x2 :) Use this measurement for the least amount of clearance. IE. the throttle tube has side to side play in the housing. 1 mm of minimal clearance is all you need. I also polish the bar where the tube rides, this includes radiousing the bar end. After you get your thottle positioned, measure your handle bar centering. IE. measure from the end of the grip on each side to the fork tube on each side. You would be suprised at how far off center they can be. Obviousley when installed correctly both sides measure the same from grip to fork tube. Use this measurement, not the marks on the handlebars. When properly centered the marks on the bars will probably be off a few mm.

Yes it is common sense but I almost over-looked it and my friend over-looked it. I saw that a lot of people were having problems with this so i tried to offer some help. Sometimes people tend to over think things when the solution is very simple. Also the 1/4 of an inch is excessive I do mine by the brail method...when it feels right, its right. :)

Thanks mate, I think most people alrady know this though.

But good for those who dont.

X2

If you notice, the throttle housing has a little "tab" that seats against the master cyl., so it won't get pushed in in the evert of a crash on that side.

Just F.Y.I.

If your like me and wrapped you bar in teflon tape under the brake perch so it will give instead of break the whole thing can slide down esp if you hit hard enough....When i first posted with this problem no one mentioned this so i thought it would be a decent piece of advice. Plus if your doing a bar swap like me and switching all the controls i figured it also would be good to know.