Sign in to follow this  

any reason not to buy xrsonly mikuni 36carb kit?

so i have been working alot of overtime lately and have been able to afford this upgrade for my 01 xr4.. i am 100 percent sold on this product but i was curious if anyone has not liked this upgrade? another question, when i order this product is it better to call in your order and talk with a tech and tell them exactally where you are riding or just order online? I know when you order online it will ask what elevation and bore, but is it better to call in? The bottom line reason for this upgrade is to make this a one or two start bike that i can loan to anyone and they can enjoy a fun ride! I have looked at e-start but 1300 bucks is a ton of money! So does anyone have any experience when then pumper was not the trick to make this bike a one or two kick fun machine!!!! thanks for all the help! this forum kicks butt!:) does the forum have member stickers to reconize other forum riders?

thanks daryl

so i have been working alot of overtime lately and have been able to afford this upgrade for my 01 xr4.. i am 100 percent sold on this product but i was curious if anyone has not liked this upgrade? another question, when i order this product is it better to call in your order and talk with a tech and tell them exactally where you are riding or just order online? I know when you order online it will ask what elevation and bore, but is it better to call in? The bottom line reason for this upgrade is to make this a one or two start bike that i can loan to anyone and they can enjoy a fun ride! I have looked at e-start but 1300 bucks is a ton of money! So does anyone have any experience when then pumper was not the trick to make this bike a one or two kick fun machine!!!! thanks for all the help! this forum kicks butt!:) does the forum have member stickers to reconize other forum riders?

thanks daryl

My dad just put his mikuni on his xr4 and it has made it a 1-2 kick bike. makes all the difference in the world.

@ what elevation? i will be ridin from 7 to 12k! :)

as long as you get it jetted right, i don't think it should matter. we are at sea level - 5000 or so. it is still a pumper carb, and because of the accelerator pump, the carb is not as effected by the elevation change.

it's been so long since I bought mine, but I think I called them. Wanted to make sure they knew my elevation and would jet the carb accordingly.

If they're still jetting it the same as when I bought mine, for your elevation they will put in 125/12.5 jets and send you 130/15 jets as spares.

Before I installed mine I verified the float levels first using the info here: http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/hs40_manual.pdf and I set the max float drop to no more than 5mm over that of minimum drop, the same mod we do to the stock carb to keep it from bogging over whoops and rough terrain.

@ what elevation? i will be ridin from 7 to 12k! :)

it's been so long since I bought mine, but I think I called them. Wanted to make sure they knew my elevation and would jet the carb accordingly.

If they're still jetting it the same as when I bought mine, for your elevation they will put in 125/12.5 jets and send you 130/15 jets as spares.

Before I installed mine I verified the float levels first using the info here: http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/hs40_manual.pdf and I set the max float drop to no more than 5mm over that of minimum drop, the same mod we do to the stock carb to keep it from bogging over whoops and rough terrain.

well i made my purchse today, going to be here wednesday!!! i am so stoked! i called in my order and i was told it would come with 125/12.5jets and sending 130/15 jets as spares!! thanks for all the help! i will try to take pics of the install

daryl

The following procedure may not be needed but I was trying to play it safe.

I was concerned the new throttle cables might bind if routed incorrectly.Before removing the OEM carb and cables I threaded the new cables into place using exact route of OEM cables.

I taped or zip tied the new cables in place so they wouldn't move while removing the OEM carb and cables. Good Luck!

Speaking of the throttle cables, spend the time to rig the cables properly the first time at the carb end, as the way they're attached to the carb make it very difficult later, not as easy as the stock carb in that respect.

As Rider250 said, follow the routing of the original cables, connect the carb end first, install the carb in the boots, then connect the throttle tube ends and adjust throw and freeplay.

oh and if you take off the intake manifold, make sure to catch the little o ring that goes around the opening on the manifold. mine had some crap in it, so i took it out and it it with a little silicone lube and reinstalled it. seals up nicely.

I have 2 XR4's, one with an Eddy, one with a Mikuni. No diff in performance. Install note: Take the seat, tank off. Take the subframe off at the bottom and rotate it up. Much easier!

I have 2 XR4's, one with an Eddy, one with a Mikuni. No diff in performance. Install note: Take the seat, tank off. Take the subframe off at the bottom and rotate it up. Much easier!

x2. almost the only way to do it especially with for the cables.

well recieved the gal in the mail today, not bad timing. ordered on friday of last week at the end of the day and recieved it today! the machine work for the adapters is great! very stoked to get it in, hoping this gal is the fix to my starting problems! thanks to all for the help, trying to take pics of install.