Sign in to follow this  

250 to 290 comparison

i am currently looking for a crf450x,wr450 to buy but have found a wr250(for a good price) with the option of haveing a 290 kit installed,with cams and pipe to get the most out of it supposedly? anyways was told it can give the bike a lot of engine breaking,does anybody who has done this notice it more? and for those that have done it would you recomend it or keep it a 250?. i'm going to being useing it for harescrambles mainly. i can't decide on buying it or to keep looking for a 450.i've owned dozens of 250 two strokes and about a half dozen 450 mx'rs but never a 250/290 four stroke.any input would be appreciated.thanks

A 250F with a 290 kit, heavier flywheel, and porting/carb mods will eat a 450 in the woods any day. There is a little more engine breaking, but not much.

very true, but you also would want to think about heat. maybee a set of pwr radiators.

I haven't run into any issues on the YZF's with the stock rads. I believe the WR rads are larger too, so that shouldn't be a problem with a good coolant.

very true, but you also would want to think about heat. maybee a set of pwr radiators.

PWR are junk in my opinion. I got a set for my 06 YZF250 and nothing but problems. I have a set if anyone wants them. I bought a new stock left and braces, went back to stock.

the yz250f with the 290 kit is a dream bike IMO. especially for the woods because their so much lighter then a 450. they have all the power and engine breaking that you will ever be able to use.

a 290 beats the 250 everwhere , bike just grows a big set of BALLS:thumbsup: having said that it still will never have the lug or power of a 450.but for woods a wr 290f would be my bike of choice:ride: but beach sand, desert ,dunes straight aways, firebreaks roads 450 is king:ride:

INMHO an uncorked WR250F has juuuuuuuust too little umph to make it an exciting, and an uncorked WR450F way too much to make it rideable in technical terrain, (excluding the obvious weight penalty). The Athena 290 I think is right on the mark! ...

I would be interested in opinions on the 270 modification, as I believe that it involves a new piston and your stock, (but overbored), bore, clearly making it a far more cost effective option ... Opinions anyone?

PWR are junk in my opinion. I got a set for my 06 YZF250 and nothing but problems. I have a set if anyone wants them. I bought a new stock left and braces, went back to stock.

What don't you like about them?

What don't you like about them?

All this is over like a year and half use. maybe two.

The top outside corners would hit the plastic shourds and wore a pin hole in one side we welded up both sides and cut plastics.

Next we noticed the radiators go right up against the right side of the fuel tank. I have fin marks in my fuel tank. So we attempted to ease the rubbing, that failed and finally a leak formed. So we cleaned it up and had to use some sort of stuff like jb weld its darker not sure what my mechanic used.

Everything has held up great since then. But now notice the two lower radiator mount brackets broke off. I can weld those back on though. I was planning on doing that but i just said forget it and went back to stock with radiator braces.

I had the 290 for 2 years and now have a wr with the 290 for a couple months but it's now a 250 again with hotcams and hi comp piston. I'm torn. I love the revyness of the 250 but you can't beat the torque of the 290. My races are in the sand right now I love it but I might want my 290 when we get into the rocks and the mountains.

I have always used fluidyene radiators and will they will always be the first thing I buy for any four stroke

I think i'm faster on the wr 250. I really love it's tranny.

i have an 04 wr with a 290 kit stage 2 hot cams fmf mega bomber header pipe q4 jd jet kit rekuse pro it rips no problem keep up with freinds on there rmz 450 and te 450 anywhere in the tight stuff they have a problem keeping up with me i have the motor in an alum framed 06 yz 250f that helps a little i ran into some heating problem i add a cooling fan and a jag oil cooler i think the rekuse was the heating problem more than the 290 kit but i don't know i put them both on at the same time