Sign in to follow this  

Need help with my fork conversion

I just finished installing 2000 kx250 forks onto my 04' kdx200. The only problem that I have is the the top clamp hits the gas tank. The top clamp is after market so that may have something to do with it. But has any one else had this problem. What I plan on doing is just welding new steering stops on. But I was also considering heating up my tank and just denting it in where the clamp would hit. Any input would be appraciated. Thanks

I've seen some people drill, tap, and put screws into the lower triple clamp stop tabs. In this method, the screw heads serve as the "new" stops. It shouldn't affect the turning radius too much.

I just finished installing 2000 kx250 forks onto my 04' kdx200. The only problem that I have is the the top clamp hits the gas tank. The top clamp is after market so that may have something to do with it. But has any one else had this problem. What I plan on doing is just welding new steering stops on. But I was also considering heating up my tank and just denting it in where the clamp would hit. Any input would be appraciated. Thanks

my stock kdx with a clarke tank on it, hit the tank. you can do like the previous post said, or drill and tap a hole in the stop tab on the sterring tube, and mount a slightly larger piece of metal

I helped a friend put 2000 KX125 forks on his 95+ KDX. He had an aftermarket clamp, and it hit the tank, too. Depending on how much it is pressing in on the tank, you might consider filing away some of the clamp.

I have a 1994 KDX200 with a Pro Taper upper clamp. It has stock forks and the clamp hit the tank until I hand filed the area that used to touch.

Most people's stock KX clamps hit the 95+ KDX tank. All the parts were designed with the conventional 43mm tubes in mind. When 45mm+, 50mm+, etc. sized outer tubes and their accompanying upper clamp get involved, it ends up clanking the tank.

One option is to have the frame steering stop built up with more metal from welding. It would reduce the steering degree, however.

The easiest approach is to use a welder to add more material to stock tab. Then to compensate for shorter turning radius, I run my new forks a litter higher in the clamps.

Art and Ebeck were masters, however, for using heat gun to bend the tank. I was too afraid that I would mess it up plus not sure how it would look.

My turning radius is fine now. It short tight stuff the bike still turns a lot better than the 250 2strokes I ride with.

Do you loose a lot of turning ability by extending the stops enough to get it to clear?

Have thought about KX forking my bike some day too. Guess to see what I'm getting into I need to have a look at Art's bike since he's close by.

Just bought a set of 02 KX250 forks from e-bay for my 02 KDX220 (goal wasn't to match the year model), this doesn't sound like a big issue to speak of. There is a post out there from last week with a guy that put some kxf250 forks on either an older kx or a kdx (don't remember). He actually machined a piece of aluminum and mounted it on the stop tab - looks nice and clean I must say. Not sure which approach I'll take with mine yet - just ready for them to arrive! :)