Sign in to follow this  

xl600 ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS???????????????

So i'v made a few posts already on this, was getting 40 volts on my bike wiring....bought an original voltage rectifier off ebay(guy said it was a working unit. Unfortunately i get the same high voltage even with the new one. why?...is it bad? thats what i would think. I tested my bike with multimeter on the input contacts coming into the voltage rectifier with it disconnected...the two wires from the stator i get 40v AC(18 from one to ground and 26 from the other to ground...together about 40v) the DC out puts showed nothing. However when i hook up the rectifier i get the high voltage but in DC(output) as well, if i test the DC(Output) wiring in AC i get like 14volts. why? is my rectifier changing the AC to DC but not busting down the voltage? and is it possible the "working unit" one I bought could have the same problem as my old one? Or is this problem something else...not my rectifier?

thanks

Robert

Just Read Something About Regulators...they Need A Reference Voltage To Compare The Output To And I Have A Dead Battery That Needs Replacing.....would This Be Why Mine Isnt Working? THERE IS A VOLTAGE SENSOR WIRE FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD...ITS A 5 WIRE REGULATOR/RECTIFIER...2 FROM STATOR, GROUND, DC OUTPUT, VOLTAGE SENSOR WIRE THAT IS HOOKED UP WITH THE BATTERY AND IGNITION SWITCH

The sense wire is the red one. It it's not connected the regulator will not regulate the voltage and it will put out the full amount like you are seeing. In my experience if the sense wire is connected it will at least regulate some even if the battery is missing.

so i got it figured out finally. apparently the voltage rectifier/regulator I had was fine. my problem was for one i was testing my bike without all the components on it....i didnt have the ignition switch on it, when I did put that on it re-routed the dc voltage back to the battery and also back onto the voltage sensor wire to the regulator, that then sensed my dead battery voltage and the volts i was now getting on the DC system was about 1 volt....when i hooked up a 12volt source to the battery terminals the whole bike was now in the accepted voltage range.....So my bike really just need the ignitionswitch and a new battery to use for a reference voltage.

thanks everybody

Robert