Sign in to follow this  

Wow what a difference!!

I finally decided to tear into my carb. My bike has always run really good but I always suspected the PO had done some work to the carb. I always had a slight lean condition off idle, but would run very rich on the top end. I ordered an assortment of jets and decided to see what had been done, and also do Daves mod if not done already. After taking the carb apart I checked the jet numbers and they were stock. I checked the main jet that i removed against one of my new jets and it looks like someone had drilled it out. No other work had been done other that trimming the tab off the mixture screw. Well I went ahead and did Daves mods and went with 58/160 jets and .25 shim on the needle. Cleaned everything else and put it back together and removed the snorkle. I had tried this when I first bought the bike but it didn't run right on the bottom end. Anyhow, I would like to say for those that have not done this mod. get the jets and do it. This has made my piggy come alive!:banghead: when you hit the throttle it is like a bomb going off, throttle response is instant, I guess I got used to hitting the throttle early to make up for the lag, and now when you hit it it is all there. I can easily carry the front wheel through second with nothing but throttle. This totaly changed the way the L pig feels when getting into the power. Thanks to Dave I have a different bike!:)

Right on ! Another happy customer.

Did you do the foam filter too? I just did mine. Nice to have a filter you can wash out and reuse, not to mention that it is free flowing.

Still have the K&N that was in there when I bought the bike, also have a Supertrap pipe. This mod really made a world of difference.

Right on ! Another happy customer.

Did you do the foam filter too? I just did mine. Nice to have a filter you can wash out and reuse, not to mention that it is free flowing.

I hear ya!!

Still have the K&N that was in there when I bought the bike, also have a Supertrap pipe. This mod really made a world of difference.

K&N's are no good except for road use. The filter media lets by fine grit, which is no good for off road riding. I would get a Uni. Just ask anyone on this forum about the k&N and off roading, they will tell you what's up. They sure told me when I was talking about getting a k&N!!

I do plan on getting the Uni, but I maintain the K&N very well because I really do not like them just for that reason. I will not even put one in either of my trucks. When I had the carb off I checked inside the intake boot between the carb and head for any sign of dirt getting past the filter, and it was very clean. Also between the carb and filter was clean. I think as long as I keep it clean and well oiled I will be ok untill I get a Uni filter.

Have any of you guys had an engine failure due to a K@N air filter?