Sign in to follow this  

Riddle me this....

07 with 100 hrs. Fresh piston, new stainless valves/springs professionally installed by MX Time for e-z bolt on.

Harder than heck to kick over. It WILL fire and runs super strong! But you about die kicking it. Almost like the enigine is siezing. Hot, cold, doesn't matter. I've run it for a few hours thinking it would smooth out. Wrong. I can't handle the hard kicking any longer. I finished dead last in a moto because I stalled out of the gate and the field had completed a lap by the time I got the b*tch started. And by that time I was spent.

I took the head cover off and spark plug. Piston at TDC, timing marks on right line up perfectly, cam lines up with timing mark on cam holder and cam marks are lined up horizonally with head. Decompressor is lined up exactly like it's shown in the manual, and activates the plunger just fine.

I am stumped. :)

Any advice? Do you guys think the cam chain may have stretched? The piston is OEM. I think the only thing I can do is rotate the cam one way or the other, but that doesn't make sense to me as everything lines up by the book at TDC??????

i opened up my 07 just to find out that the marks didnt line up perfectly so i took pics of what i saw......piston at tdc starts first kick hot or cold....well maybe two cold......try the marks like this and see what happens......mine has been like this since new and am now at 97 hours supermoto.hope this helps IMG_2309.jpgIMG_2312.jpgIMG_2314.jpg

Dont forget to check your decompression clearance after you adjust/check your exhaust lash, this will make it really hard to kick. Make sure the clearances are good...I have seen this many times (I am a tech). Most common problem for hard starts besides tight valves.

Thanks man. Everything lines up perfectly. I have a long skinny screwdriver verifying TDC.

Turns over fine without the spark plug-lol.

I can't find anything wrong with the d compressor, but at the same time I can't even see where it's adjustable. It moves the plunger and hits the exhaust lifter on it's stroke....:)

Dont forget to check your decompression clearance after you adjust/check your exhaust lash, this will make it really hard to kick. Make sure the clearances are good...I have seen this many times (I am a tech). Most common problem for hard starts besides tight valves.

You might be on to something there, Diesel. Can you please explain how to check and adjust "decompression clearance". I bet you nailed it. Just need to know how to check/adjust.

Thank you in advance!!!

After much research, I think I'm off a tooth. This according to similar probs others have had. My new question is, should I move the can clock-wise a tooth or counter clockwise a tooth?

thats with the piston at aboslute tdc......i put a straw in the cylinder to confirm....then i see marks like this ^^^^^^^^^^......i have a manual cct btw

Thanks DUDE! You nailed it. Bumped it back a tooth and BINGO. :)