Pirelli Scorpions

Anyone try these yet? The book says they are DOT "off-road". They look more aggressive than my mt-21's that are rated 10% on 90% off. I just gota new set from a SM convert and looking to slap them on my 650R for mainly fire roads and some single track. Only small pavement sections I would be crossing.

You must be talking about the MX medium soft ones and yes they are one of the best tires, both front and rear.

I'm looking at them for my next tire set too.

imgdet_scorp%20mx%20post%20mid%20soft%2032.jpg

I like the "Scorpion MX Mid Soft 32" 90/100-21 front

It's strange how the MX series doesn't seem to have much for 18" rims.

For the rear, on an 18" rim, I' thinking 120/100-18 Kenda TRAKMASTR II K760 DS

K760.jpg

or the Kenda K779 Enduro 140/80-18 (soft)

K779Enduro.jpg

or the Kenda (6 ply) Parker DT 120/100-18 (this one looks ruggid!)

parkerMC.jpg

or the IRC M1A (Front) 90/90-21 & M5B (Rear) 140/80-18 M1AF-M5BR.jpg

Tires with rows of knobs 4 across the print are unstable in soft terrain, they float and wash out easily. Front tires that are more spike like without 4 knob across rows work much better in the soft stuff. The Scorpian is the new version of an oldie but goodie the MT18HD. This was the tire of choice for most desert guys on the 650r.

I got the Scorpion pro front only and it rocks. It's a little skittish on the slab for the first couple hundred miles, but after that it's good....for a having knobs. I wouldn't go dragging a knee with it.

+1!?

Best front tire I've ever used. I'll try one for the rear as soon as my D606 is toast.

I usually run the mt series as they are DOT. My problem is especially with the MT-21's. They tend to wear every other row quickly on the bigger bikes. I've tried the others and have had good luck with the pirelli's, IRC, and Dunlop's. The Scorpions were my KTM525 buddies next set until he went SM. He said they wore and worked well on his bike. We'll see

They tend to wear every other row quickly on the bigger bikes...

I was told that the wearing of every other row is due to improper inflation.

However, he didn't say whether it was too much or too little.?

I got the Scorpion pro front only and it rocks. It's a little skittish on the slab for the first couple hundred miles, but after that it's good....for a having knobs. I wouldn't go dragging a knee with it.

only have 150 miles on my Scorpion Pro front...very gud offroad...very squirrely onroad but i'm just gett'n scrubbed in...time will tell :banghead:

will install the 140/80/18 Pirelli XCMH rear next week...will take sum pics when it gets here ?

:banghead:

Tires with rows of knobs 4 across the print are unstable in soft terrain, they float and wash out easily. Front tires that are more spike like without 4 knob across rows work much better in the soft stuff. The Scorpian is the new version of an oldie but goodie the MT18HD. This was the tire of choice for most desert guys on the 650r.

Lots of talk here about the scorpion pro, that IS NOT the MT-18 replacement.

The scorpion XCMH is.

?

well my Pirelli Scorpion XCMH arrived today...they are based off the MT18 design...w/ DOT approval

...these are the 140/80M-18's, they weigh 14lbs and r considered a "Heavy Duty" tire w/ three tread & three sidewall polyester ply, the "MH" stands for "MidHard" and are made in Brazil. :banghead:

here's wut it looks like and then compared to a warn out Dunlop 606(~1,600 miles)...i know they'll hook up a lot better than the 606's but time will tell on their longevity but if they last till fall i'll be happy...now a dayz >90% of my ride'n is offroad ?

the sidewalls are very stiff, will report back once mounted and got sum miles on them.

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

I'm running the scorpion pro up front, IMO its a much better tire than the MT21. The scorpion hooks very well off road most conditions.

on road the scorpion has a loose feel.

Hard braking on a hard surface with the scorp-pro front, I could fold the front knobs over pretty easy on my XRL.

My MT18HD was almost the same tire, but no foldy-knobs.

I'm hoping the XCMH front is more like the MT18HD front than the scorp pro.

Dave

Dave the XCMH is everything the MT-18HD was and more, same exact tread pattern, cooler looking sidewalls ?:banghead: :banghead: Same stiff carcass that inspires confidence in the rocks, still tracks straight in the deep sand, still hooksup in corners, still doen not wash out like many other front tires....

Pirelli just changed the name of the tire, not the performance.

You will not be dissapointed.

only have 150 miles on my Scorpion Pro front...very gud offroad...very squirrely onroad but i'm just gett'n scrubbed in...time will tell :foul:

Hard braking on a hard surface with the scorp-pro front, I could fold the front knobs over pretty easy on my XRL.

Dave

yup...i think the weight of the bike(s) can overwhelm the knobs on the slab...but i like it offroad ?

here's a pic of the Scorpion Pro front(not the XCMH)...

DSC01715.jpg