Sign in to follow this  

painting frame

ok guys i need some help here.ive got almost everything pulled of my bike.ive done a couple of searches on painting the frame an swingarm an realy havent found much.ive never done this so i need some pointers on how to do this.how to strip the paint off,will paint stippers hurt the alum. on swinger an subframe.should i prime it,sand between primer an paint coats ,what sand paper to use ect.pj1 doesnt have any paints that i want to use so what are other good paints to use.what kind of clear coat should i use.what i would like is rattle can paints to use.thanks kawie:ride: :)

most strippers will hurt the aluminum, they make some aluminum safe/non alkalai versions IIRC, havt done body work in years. there were some threads on good paints a while back, search a little harder. i would sandblast the steel parts, and use something less agreesive on the aluminum, shouldnt cost too much and the results will be worth it

If you have it torn completely apart, check into getting it powder coated. Powder coating is much more durable than paint, but last way longer and will look much better.

Aircraft paint remover for the frame and subframe (assuming it is the 1996 KX250 you are referring to, and it has the stock steel subframe).

220 sandpaper to rough it up

wipe off dust

(CAUTION, this is the not afraid to spend the money to do it right version)

colorrite.com for primer, paint and clear coat

otherwise, try to shop at a real car paint store and buy good stuff. PJ1 isn't too great, even if you could find a color you like.

oh yea, high quality paints ussually dont come in rattle cans, i 2nd the powder coat

its the 2000 kx250 i just bought.i would love to powdercoat it but the funds are not there.laid off right now.:):banghead: so im goinging to paint it this way i can touch it up when it gets worn or chipped.thats why i want to use rattle cans to keep cost down,plus save money for the motor.im going to rebuild the motor from the bottom up all new.how are the krylon an rustolium paints.thanks kawie

someone in another thread referred to a grabber green available at one of the parts store cant recall what one. check out the winter make over thread i think all the details you need are in there. good luck

one thing....... why are you painting the swingarm? just curious.