Sign in to follow this  

Bad cam journals

Well I took the head of my 2003 drz 125 I bought for $500 and found this. The cam journals are completely gone.:) What can cause this? Also would it be cheaper to get a head off eBay for $100 or get it fixed? I put this in general because it applies to all four strokes.

000_0555.jpg

000_0556.jpg

Head off eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180333467602

Oil starvation is usually what causes that. Either from a blocked passage or running out.

How likely is it that the oil pump went out? I'm splitting the cases to put a new lower rod bearing in it and new crank bearings. These trail four strokes are just as simple as my rm 250 to work on in my opinion. Does that top end on eBay look like a good deal. If I buy it I'm going to get the jug bored to 59mm for 134cc and get the valves and head checked by the shop. The jug I have now is bored to 61mm and probably needs a re sleeve. The rest of the bike is in nice shape and the only real problem is it needs a new linkage bearing and all the other were good. It probably got low on oil since the kid who had it rode it for a year and it burned a ton of oil and he probably let it get to low because he knew nothing about bikes.

Whatever cams went with those journals, you'll need to replace as well.

FYI..you can buy a brand-spankin-new head for that thing for around $250.

Keep that in mind if/when you find one on e-bay.