Sign in to follow this  

Hard to start..loose or tight valves?

im just curious, was reading up on valves on the site..

what are the noticeable effects of say 2-3mm off clearnce, or more if that is not alot (loose or tight)?

are there any, and is being lose better than tight or vice versa?

thanks in advance:worthy:

You are asking a lot of questions at once.

Valve clearnce is .004 to .008 intake and .008 to .012 exhaust (in inches). 1 mm is .0395 inches. So if your valves are out 2 or 3mm you are talking .100 to .120 inch (about 1/8 inch). So, yea 2 or 3mm is a LOT. More than you are ever going to see unless something is broken.

Typically hard starting is due to tight valves.

Perfect valve clearance is at the low end of the tolerance. Less clearance can cause burned valves and loss of compression. Too much clearance is hard on valve train components due to mechanical hammering on the parts. Anywhere in the Suzuki (or HotCam) recommended tolerance range is fine.

Too little clearance makes them hard to start. Some guys like them spot on for best performance. Other guys (like me) prefer them in the wider range thinking they would not need adjusted as soon. My old S went 24,ooo miles before the engine developed a sloppy crank bearing and was replaced. The valves were still in spec at that mileage so how much adjustment are we really talking about?

You are asking a lot of questions at once.

Valve clearnce is .004 to .008 intake and .008 to .012 exhaust (in inches). 1 mm is .0395 inches. So if your valves are out 2 or 3mm you are talking .100 to .120 inch (about 1/8 inch). So, yea 2 or 3mm is a LOT. More than you are ever going to see unless something is broken.

Typically hard starting is due to tight valves.

Perfect valve clearance is at the low end of the tolerance. Less clearance can cause burned valves and loss of compression. Too much clearance is hard on valve train components due to mechanical hammering on the parts. Anywhere in the Suzuki (or HotCam) recommended tolerance range is fine.

thanks guys..sorry 2,3 mm was a typo, i meant .2 or .3...but yeah, i get it

.2 or .3mm is still a way lot. Think .02 to .03mm

The valves should be in spec, end of story:thumbsup:

If they are that far out, you have some issues:bonk:

if you ware not so far from Eddie I would just tell you to truck the bike to his door

there is a point in time ware taking it to a shop maybe the best cors of action