Sign in to follow this  

CRF150F or R???

I need help on what bike i should get. I'm 15yrs old and 5'5 weighing 130lbs. I want to be able to outrun my friends TTR125 on the trails and at the track :) . My dad says i need a CRF150 so it looks like i'm going to be getting one soon. I will be doing a lot of trailriding and a lot of riding at the track. (not racing just riding fast) I heard the R is lots faster but way more expensive. If i get the R, i'll keep it stock but if i get the F, i'll probably mod it some.

so, CRF150F or CRF150R? Money is kind of tight now BTW.

If you are considering the r model, you probably won't be happy with the f model long. If you look around you can find deals on both models. Even brand new leftover 08's.

^Yeah that's what i was thinking...The F is probably wayy too slow for me. I'll have to look on craigslist and drive to local cycle shops.

My dad said the R is too expensive.

its hard to find a bike thats great for both trail and track. if your not racing, get an f. its cheaper, and much much easier , and cheaper, to keep up. and will out run a stock ttr in the straights. if you can find an 03-05 used, they are pretty cheap and can be made to run really well for not much money.........just a 175 bbr kit and cam really make it run much better for about 300.00. uses the same cyl. bored and very easy to install with no case machining......goes from 12 to about 17hp.......the stock susp isnt the greatest but not bad compared to other trail bikes.......and decent for trail riding. needs some woork for track riding........it wont beat a 150r but will out run must mini trail bikes you will run across........and all of the stock ones. plus the r's are actually smaller...not a bad choice for what you are doing.

The "R"will dominate the ""F"" in everything, including torque, against popular beleif. The R's torque is just alot higher in the RPM range, noone needs torque at 8500rpm. The 150R is not reliable tho, ive had mine for 6 months and the valves are begining to tap. But when they finaly need clearences im selling it and moving to an XC-W (2 stroke FTW)

have a look at the 105XC if you want to race trail and mx, not sure how much they cost as i never really looked at them.... doubt thel be much more expensive that the 150R. But hey.... its a KTM and a 2 stroke, so you wont have to touch the motor. Just clean the air filter, change oil and ride.

You gotta look at the big picture, not just the initial cost of the bike. It will take a lot of money to mod a 150f to get it even close to the performance of a 150r. Like you first said, you're looking at a modded out 150f or a stock 150r.

KX100 is a great "in-betweener" bike. Sounds perfect for what you're looking for!

-T

I heard they are slow...I'm going to be using this bike for the track and my XR80 for the trails. so should i get a CR85 or KX85?

You were considering a CRF150f, a KX85 is a complete rocket compared to it.