Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450 exc vs Yamaha wr250r.

Well I am looking for something to replace my tw200 and the motorcycle shop has a new 2008 wr250r demo bike with 100 miles for $4800. They also have a 2007 ktm 450 exc (street legal version) for $4500 I am not positive on the miles on the but I am thinking its 1500 or less and it is in like new condition. Which bike should I get? I am leaning towards the wr250r because I like the idea of fuel injection. I have heard KTMs are the best bikes out there but are also notoriously way overpriced. I think $4500 is a good price but I am just worried it would be very expensive to keep it maintained compared to the wr. I do want something to ride mostly on the street and just hit the trails once in a while. Also would insurance be a lot higher on the KTM?? Like I said I am just looking for something with a little more power that my tw200. Would that KTM be too much for me?

thanks

You've come to the right place I have the 07 KTM 450EXC and used to have a 04 wr250 as well. I know the wr250r is different but it's different in a bad way.

First off the KTM is a great all round bike. It has a wide ratio gearbox so pulls the gears great on the street and is a competitive beast on the trails. The KTM is probably the lighter bike by about 30lbs. and has about 10-15 more hp. My KTm uncorked with a JD jet kit 14/48 gearing and the exhaust mod runs with the best of them. So far the valve adjusts on my KTM while easy to do are not as necessary as the manual suggests. Mine were off a thousandth after the break in on one or two and have not moved in about 1500 miles and have been checked 3 times. I'd say the only gripe I have with my KTM is it has a little head shake at anything over 55mph. I have different tires on it than stock and it's not near as bad but you get used to it after a while. The only other gripe is the oil changes are kind of a pain but after you get the hang of them they are not so bad.

My old WR was a great bike as well and ran like a clock. I never have had any issues with either of the bikes while I have owned them but can say this the KTM has way more power and tons more torque. The only place I felt more comfortable on my WR was on singletrack trails and I'm pretty sure the WR your looking at is about 50 lbs. heavier than that one.

If you have any questions feel free to ask I'm sure I missed a ton of things.

Here I'll edit this: Insurance on my KTM is 76$ through progressive online for 250/500,000$ coverage. IF you are mainly driving on road the KTM is a dirt bike so it drives like one on the road. It won't feel like a street bike but it has very good road manners up until 55+. Things can be done to help that like balance the tires and so on. The WR has fuel injection so driving year round is a plus but my KTM jetting works perfectly until the temps dip below 40-45 then it gets a little lean. The cost to maintain the bike will be about the same. Oil the filter, change the oil and lube the chain. Checking the valves is easy on the katoom. Not sure on the yami. I don't even bother to remove my radiators on the ktm. I've even heard of guys on adventure rider getting 20,000+ miles of the KTM 450 RFS motors before a rebuild. If you ask me that's pretty amazing. Here is a vid of my 450 http://www.vimeo.com/3122189

Regardless I think you'll be happy with either but if you your gonna ride on the road alot I would think that a more powerful 450 motor will be a lot more fun and you won't have to work the motor so hard to get the same performance out of it.

Believe me when I say this some bikes were never meant to be ridden on the road. I have a 08 Husky TE 250 as well and I hate driving that on the street. It has a close ratio gearbox and super low gearing and since the motor needs to be screamed to get to the meat of the power it just sucks to drive to the the road. The KTM is nothing like that bike. I drive mine a lot on the street and have a blast. I'm sure the WR would be fun as well just with a lot less power.

I hope that helps.

Oh and if that KTM is all stock it will feel pretty poochy until you uncork it and rejet it. It will probably feel only a little better than the yami but after it's uncorked it's a whole different bike. I'd say 14/48 gearing would probably be perfect for you as well. Stock the bike is geared to do over a hundred. with 14/48 you can cruise at 55-65 with no problem. If your riding single track you might want to use 14/50 gearing though. 14/48 is a good compromise for street/dirt.

2 other things my te250 insurance is 1 dollar cheaper than my ktm and if your coming off a tw 200 I think both bike power will be fine. You can lug the ktm and it's got smooth tractable power. The Wr is a 250 so you have to rev it higher which might be more like your tw200. My dad had a tw and it was fun but had nowhere near the power of either bike.

As an owner of an 09 WR250R, and having ridden my friends KTM450, I must say this is an apples to oranges comparison. Try riding headshake prone KTM at a steady 80 mph like I can with my 250. For 30 min straight. (my commute to work, in the fast lane!). Now, try to throttle wheelie the 250 in the dirt like the KTM- not going to happen. Way easier and safer to ride the KTM in a serious motocross fashoin in the dirt....so your choice is clear- do you want to have a chance to hang with your friends on their DIRTBIKES? Or do you want to ride on the freeway, sometimes two up (yes also at 80) ? Two totally different bikes, both great for their intended purpose!!!!

In my opinion; if you're planning on riding mostly street get the WRR.

If you wanted primarily a dirt bike with occasional road riding, then the KTM.

A couple answers to your questions:

Insurance companies generally charge according to displacement, sometimes also bike type.

So generally speaking, you can expect the larger bike to cost a bit more to insure.

If you insure more than one bike the rating on each bike will be different than if you only insure one.

But rates vary widely; a quick phone call to a few carriers will give you a ballpark of what to expect.

GEICO and USAA seem to have pretty good MC rates out here.

The KTM will require significantly more maintenance than the WRR.

The WR has a 3000 mile oil change interval and recommended 26,000 miles before you should check the valves according to Yamaha.

You'll likely need to rebuild the KTM motor long before that.

That being said; when you get feedback, bear in mind that the off-road only WR250F is a completely different bike than the street legal WR250R.

Different frame, engine, tranny, suspension, horsepower rating, maintenance requirements, etc. The only thing they share is "WR" in their model designations.

The WRF is probably a lot more like the KTM; more power, lighter, higher maintenance, much better off road than on, but it's not street legal.

ktm all the way..there is zero head shake issues with the ktm on the road. i can not imagine either bike is very comfy going 80mph for a half hour straight

A couple other things to consider in Colorado is temperature and elevation.

I've had my WRX from sea level to ~7000 feet in one day and from mid-30's to over 100 degrees without a hiccup.

There's something to be said for fuel injection on a street bike.