Sign in to follow this  

Big Crash, Bike runs 1/2 Lap, Then Dies....

I got involved in a pile up while jumping a table top. One guy went down, next guy crashed into him and I crashed into both! Luckily nobody got hurt. I noticed I bent my left radiator slightly but saw no fluids leaking, so I got back on and rode 1/2 a lap until.... The end of a rythm section I was doubling up on my engine died. Thankfully it didnt die at the face of one of the jumps! Anyway, the bike wont fire back up now...

The bike in question is an 04 CRF450R with 5.2 hrs on a new top end complete with new camchain, guides, tensioner, and clutch. The valves are original with about 45 hrs on them. However, they were checked yesterday and were perfect along with the decompressor. I check my valves every other ride and have only had to reshim with the same size shim as before due to beating the shim flat. (Not a fan of Hotcams shims....)

Anyway, the bike has all its fluids and feels like it has normal compression. Im guessing either I f-d up a valve or something crapped out in the ignition? Im not sure if this crash can be correlated to this mess? I just thought Id see what you guys think before I tear into the bike in the morning...

This might be a dumb question but here goes. did ya check the gas petcock? Sure sounds like the time it would take to run out of gas.

Don't know anything else that could have a delayed reaction.

LOL! I checked it and more than once just to be safe! I even verified I had gas too! As an airline pilot, I DONT forget the fuel! Haha! Im stumped and will be trading a day at the beach tomorrow for a day of trouble shooting. Blah!!!

Turns out the carb came loose from the engine... I must have crashed harder than I thought! Anyway, all is well now!