Sign in to follow this  

Any History of DRZ's with dead short?

I have a '07 DRZ-400S which I've owned for about a year and a half and every time I go to start it the battery is dead.

Do these models have a history of any type of short?

How long do you let it sit? The best bet is to keep it on a tender.

And yes, they do have a draw in the dash unit. Not a short per say but they will kill the battery.

The first time it wouldn't start, it sat a couple of months, but the last two times were less than two weeks.

Yeah, I figured the clock/dash would put a draw on it, but is it normal for the battery to drain that fast?

Yup. Do some searches and check the FAQ. Test the battery and check out the "Free Power Mod"

There is approximately a 2mA constant drain on the battery from the instruments and the voltage regulator. You have a 7 amp hr battery. A battery only works to about 1/2 capacity. So you have about 3 amps to loose until dead. It should be able to sit for 2 or 3 weeks but if the battey is old or weak (due to age and/or storage not fully charged) you will have a dead battery much sooner. The general advise is to keep the motorcycle on a battery tender to keep the battery up. If you want to test for current leakage, take a look at FAQ electrical troubleshooting for a procedure.