The oh three restore project...pics!!

Alright here is some pics of the 03 rm 125 heap i bought last week, so far i have tore it all down to the motor and frame, im cleaning up the motor before i dis-assemble it and then a new top end is going in...i thought i was gonna have to order a whole new plastics kit but with a little simple green these cleaned up nice thanks to the old graphics keeping them from getting scratched up!!! here's the progress so far, i will try to update as i go:thumbsup:

The start:

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

number plate & shroud before:

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

number plates/shroud after cleaning:

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

Here is a pic of what once again looks like a carb, wow was this thing nasty!

IMG_1518.jpg

ok so i got the top end apart and its not too bad of shape but, the little arm that comes up from the bottom and connect to the powervalve shaft (the one you have to dis-connect to pull the top end) doesnt move when i turn the motor over...i cant remember if its supposed to or not...can anyone advise??? also is it safe to clean the powervalves and cyclinder with brake cleaner???

its moved by centrifigal force, there is a ball and ramp type governer that moves it, higher rpms than hand turning are needed, check the plastic clips that hold it, they wear and break, might as well pull the crankcase on that side, and inspect the clutch good, and also clean out any old clutch goo in there, a little more time and a gasket, from the looks its been sitting awhile, carb cleaner is better for cleaning the exh valve, then brakeclean

yeah i found that on here but its $131 plus shipping...at motopsort it was 119 with free shipping so im trying to see if the .080 on the motosport is correct to save some cash

ah i found it...ebay baby...$82 shipped!!!---cancel that

i cleaned and inspected the piston and discover the part number, its a flat top conversion piston so i now know exactly what to replace it with, its a 134cc flat top kit, wow the surprises you find tearing into an old bike

anyone know why a flat top kit would be beneficial??? i always thought a dome piston made better compression?

so i got a full top end kit on the way along with a new air filter and rear tube...so today i got i semi-ready to be reassembled here are the pics of what a wire wheel and scotch brite can do!!!

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

im pretty surprised how well its cleaning up but man its been a pain, i also repacked the wheel bearings

im kinda pumped to get it going since i have found out it really has v force reeds, a upgraded digital cdi box and the 134 kit...im hoping this little thing will scream when its all back together and cleaned up, cause it was kinda a dog before

i have thought about painting it, but would wanna do it myself...what kinda paint would hold up the best? Im trying to stay a cheap as possible until i get it in 100% operating condtion, then i will get into cosemetics...i wish i could just remove the paint and wire wheel it cause i love the fake brushed metal look but i think it would rust pretty bad

It would most definitely rust. Your best bet for something that will last to the abuse of boots, etc is something baked on like powdercoat. It's a good idea to just tear it down and git 'er done while you've got the thing mostly apart. Just make it happen man. You'll thank yourself for it and PC jobs are fairly cheap if you provide the labor to tear the thing down.

^ duplicolor? Is that the stuff from autozone?? i noticed something like that in there yesterday but didn't know how it would hold up...powder coating is probably out of the question right now, i have a few other ideas for it, i'll have the frame looking good before it gets finished i just wanna concentrate on getting in tuned in right now

Sorry if I didn't see it mentioned, but running an overbore piston without the porting and head work to compensate might make the bike run like a dog. Not completely sure on this bike, but something to consider. There are a few tuners out there with a lot of bigbore experience that could do it up relatively cheap.

the line-x is deff a possibility, i was gonna look into that

Im thinkin with all the mods that are done to this thing that surely it was ported and polished with the over bore....Plus im pretty sure it was sent off to be done because on the back of the jug it says "Hinson #2" ingraved....i dont think a local shop would have done that

Is there anyway i can visually tell if its been ported/polished?? I wish there was a way for me to contact the original owner to see what all has really been done to this thing...It has aftermarket sus springs and RG3 stickers so im assuming that whats in it but i dont know about the spring rates, valving etc...