Sign in to follow this  

CR250 or CRF450?

I have been riding a 2005 CRF 250r and am wanting something with a little more power. The two bikes i am currently looking at are a cr250 or a crf450. I'm not sure which one to get though. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard that the 250 is more fun to ride, but the 450 has way more power.

Do you want to have little maintenance, or do you want to have to do a lot of work on the bike?

I have a CR250 and I love it with all my heart.

Its way fun to ride and has plenty or power.

1 vote for the CR250

ive owned a 05 crf 450 and i love it i 1 and a half seasons on never checked the valves just did regular maintence and they never moved once but i had to sell it because of money issues lol go for the 450 it has lots of power easy to ride and handles like a dream imo cr 250's are nice to but if you want to race go for the 450

I grew up on the 250's, and swore I'd never own a 4stroke. Then came the day I had a chance to ride one. 2 weeks later I bought one, and I'd never go back. There's so much power, and torque that you can lug it if you want, but when you crack the throttle it's gone. Go for the 450.

As far as maintenance is concerned I don't think the 2t's are all that much less. However when it comes to power and torque oh and let's not forget that it's more controllable, you will want the 450.

to shrubitup- i do all that except enduro

OK, have heard that the KX250F makes a good woods machine. To me, the CRF250R has a strong motor. I've seen guys take their Honda 450Rs and convert them into woods bikes but they simply don't like going slow (less than 10mph) due to the gearbox, cooling, and jetting. The F bikes no doubt are easier to ride faster on a MX track, have engine braking (some like that on the trail) and often give better traction overall. With that simplicity/hook up comes the price in the form of higher OEM parts prices, higher aftermarket parts prices, and frequent valve adjustments/inspections and oil/filter changes too. Many reason that these costs are worth it. Not me but I'm not racing either.:)

Are you only considering buying used? If not I recommend a yz250 or a 250sx. Bothare great bikes. Its true, 4 strokes are easier to ride fast but personally I love the two stroke, they are just so much fun to ride!! If you have the money and plan on racing seriously id go 4 stroke, otherwise I recommend 2 stroke all the way.