Sign in to follow this  

chest protectors...side impact?

So last week me and a buddy were riding on his track at his house and I sort of had a nasty spill. went over a good sized double and when I landed I landed on my front wheel and went over th handle bars. thought I was fine til the bike went in the air and the back tire came down on the side of my ribs (pretty much right under my arm) breaking 2 of them and collapsing my right lung. NOT too fun. I spent a week in the hospital and cant ride for like another month or so. Just wondering if there is a chest protector that offers a little better side impact. I have not seen anything. Or is my wreck a one in a million case. thanks

yeah I forgot to put in here that I wasnt sure if this had been discussed already.

thanks for the link

No problem. Its back in 03' so there is a pretty good chance newer products have come out. I'm curious myself.

They should be called roost guards as they offer very little in the area of impact protection. Some of the newer body armor has better protection than a chest protector.

chest protectors are mainly a roost deflector alot better than nothing at all i hear body armor is good but can be pricy

We have been looking for something for the wife - she broke three ribs last fall when she fell over and found a large rock. So far we have found nothing that will fit a big chested woman.:)

We have been looking for something for the wife - she broke three ribs last fall when she fell over and found a large rock. So far we have found nothing that will fit a big chested woman.:)

Lucky you then :banghead:

Side impact into a tree got me. 4 broken ribs, punctured lung, broken scapula. I have a TekVest now and I like it. Better side and shoulder protection than the chest protector. It's pricey, $300+, but well very made and it holds my camelbak bladder perfectly. There is a review here on TT. The Xl fits me well, I'm 6-1, 190. The downside is it might be hot. Haven't worn in in the summer yet.

it seems like a catch 22 or some murphys law can have on full crash gear but when you get off your bike the bike is going to find you and hit the only little place your not protected

Right about chest protectors...chest and back is all they protect.

I've been looking for a rib protector for years and no one makes one for MX.

I saw a pro ski vest that had side protection. Looked a lot like the vest bull riders wear.

Everyone i know who crashed hard and broke ribs landed on their side with that arm extended to try to break their fall...forget it, you are going to break ribs!

wow, talk about thread necromancy. rofl.gif

I wear a Tekvest.... freestyle on dirt, sno-x race vest on the snow. Built for powersports, great side/shoulder protection. Required in sno-x racing... if it can stand up to a 600lb sled with sharpened ice picks in the track, it shouldn't have a problem holding up to the worst a dirt bike can throw at it.

Rodeo'd in college, have a bullriding vest... Comfortable, but not really well-suited for motorcycle use (No shoulder protection). I've worn it under my Adventure jacket for a little more chest protection, but kept the shoulder armor in the jacket.

breaking 2 ribs and collapsing my right lung. I spent a week in the hospital and cant ride for like another month or so. Just wondering if there is a chest protector that offers a little better side impact. I have not seen anything. Or is my wreck a one in a million case. thanks

My crash was a lot like yours. 6 days in the hospital with busted ribs, punctured lung, a tube in my chest. Did you get the big tube or the small one? I got lucky and the small one worked. I was pissed that my expensive Pressure Suit had NO padding where I needed it. It's supposed to be made for crash protection but it's no better than a chest protector.

So I spent my time researching that and wrote a piece for the Gear & Apparel forum: LINK

I think my article will answer your questions.

The different kinds of gear all offer some protection, the problem is no one piece of this gear can protect us from every possible crash scenario. I like the motoXvest, it's made for motocross and integrates with the new "Leatt style" neck braces.

Edited by motoinmoab

yeah I wish people would be more informed, a chest protector is not designed to protect from anything but roost and rocks thrown.......

no fault to anyone, but the names are misleading

I stopped wearing one when I broke my shoulder and 3 ribs with one on (and it had the plastic, padded shoulder cups too)

even racing I have yet to get hit by roost that would require one, and I stay alot cooler not wearing one

you can try one of these rxr things, supposedly are really good at saving ribs. Still not really side protection but more in the line of actual impact absorption.

Pretty sure I got the big one. I remember lying in the trauma bay and being put under and before i knew the doc had made a small incision and proceeded to open it up using her fingers, all while I was still awake. but turned out the wreck didnt puncture anything. just the impact collapsed all of the right and half of the left. So my tube went in on the right side and wrapped all the way to the left. It was about the size of my thumb and I have NBA worthy hands, haha. Pretty sure the thing that sucked the worse was the awesome tape they used to secure the tube down. When I pulled it off I might as well have pulled off the top layer of skin.

Pretty sure I got the big one. I remember lying in the trauma bay and being put under and before i knew the doc had made a small incision and proceeded to open it up using her fingers, all while I was still awake. but turned out the wreck didnt puncture anything. just the impact collapsed all of the right and half of the left. So my tube went in on the right side and wrapped all the way to the left. It was about the size of my thumb and I have NBA worthy hands, haha. Pretty sure the thing that sucked the worse was the awesome tape they used to secure the tube down. When I pulled it off I might as well have pulled off the top layer of skin.

My small tube went in high on my chest and was fed down in about 8". On the outside they taped on a shut off valve and a backflow preventer and used a lot of tape. Gorilla Tape has got nothing on that hospital stuff, maybe that's where they get it from. The doc apologized as she tortured me with what felt like tearing my skin off with my hair attached. The ER doc gave me the choice of big tube or little and said if he was in my place he'd try the little one first. It took 3 tries to get it right but the morphine had me feeling grateful anyway.

So now I have the Moto X Vest, the bull riders style and it is real protection around the sides. What have you done to protect your lungs?