Sign in to follow this  

Chain Tension

I want to make sure i get the chain tension for my 03 200 mxc correct. The manual says that the distance between the chain and bottom of the swingarm right behind the chain slider should be about 15mm. It doesnt say to have the rear wheel off the ground when measuring, but a picture next to it shows the rear wheel off the ground. I adjusted the chain with the rear wheel off the ground...is this the right way to do it?

Thats more work than necessary, but you get the IDEA. I use my body weight and a tie down strap to get the swing arm in line with the counter shaft then make sure I have 1/2"or so play done this with all bikes for a very long time simple and quick.

This is how I compressed mine too but the one in the video is still a great write up W/ good Pics for a noob.

For a quick check, while it's on the kickstand you should be able to stick 3 fingers between chain and end of the slider on the swingarm.I've been doing this for years and have had good results.

the write up is the way I set my chain tension up initially. Then, I have a good baseline to go by. A tight chain causes all kinds of problems from cracked cases, leaky CS's, to cracked hubs. Is it really that much work to remove the shock?:)

by checking it this way, many will find they are running a tight chain. you can't set a KTM's chain tension the way you do a jap bike's.

when mine is correct I check it with wheel off the ground or I lever it up on the side stand so the wheel comes off the ground. I push down on the top of the chain right behind the swing arm plastic buffer. It almost touches the metal behind the buffer, about a finger width from hitting the swing arm metal.

I adjusted the chain with the rear wheel off the ground...is this the right way to do it?

Acording to the owners manual yes this is the correct way. :)

Taking the shock out of the bike to set chain tension is way too much work for me..although not as hard as a jap bike to remove its still a pain. :banghead: I just follow the owners manual chain slack measurements or use the old 3 finger tight rule (if you cant wedge 3 fingers between the chain and the swing arm on the chain slider end then its too tight.)

the taking the shock off is a one time thing, in case some of you dont understand that. KTM comes off with two bolts and slips right out past the pipe, very easy.

the taking the shock off is a one time thing, in case some of you dont understand that. KTM comes off with two bolts and slips right out past the pipe, very easy.

yep, I thought I made that clear. :banghead: sometimes it has to be said twice.:)

KTM is an odd beast. Once you set the tension with the shock off, and get it back on the ground, you'll be shocked how loose it needs to be.

I'll bet 90% of owners run theirs too tight :)

If you cant hear a ton of horrible chain slag then it is too tight, cs seal leaking too tight. Kinda funny how my jap bike ridding friends all laugh at me and tell me my chain is about to fall off.