Sign in to follow this  

RMX BRP Top Clamp Order/Fab

Okay, fellows: I received a reply from Bryan Bosch as follows...(YES!)

"That's fine. Post it up and when done, email me the link to the thread. If

you don't, the mods will not know its ok and they'll delete.

Post it in the Suzuki 2-stroke forum.

Kind Regards"

Here are your instructions, if you have a 1996-1998 RMX (Later Aussie and Kiwi years may very well apply, so long as they are conventional forked):

Call BRP at 800-834-9363; Office Hours Mon.-Fri. 8:30am - 5:30pm PST

Tell them you want to place an order for Part # TCA-2003 (more options are available if you ask, like a Scott's mount.) Their site lists it complete for $180.

Mine will be ordered first thing tomorrow!

I was told 12-15 by Luke (he asked Jim while I was on hold.)

So far, there are 5-6 of us interested, from another thread.

the Rmx clamps are the same as the rm clamps correct? and are these a sub mount calmp?? below the bars?? if so i will get one when are the orders due in or is it just order up untill we get enough for them to fill it?

No: the RMX has 45mm tubes, whereas the RM is 49mm. PM me for sources of the RM top clamps as I bought one of those 6 months ago to serve in the interim until such time as this opportunity.

Jim can set you up with any configuration; over, under, heights, forward, back. He is into one-on-one customer service with us commoners. I get no benefit from saying thus - it was my personal experience from my few encounters.

To answer your last question, yes: as soon as they reach the 12 order minimum, they will fire up the mill and run the program to machine top clamps for the 1996-1998 US RMX, and perhaps the 1999 Aussie/Kiwi RMX.

I'll be placing an order for 2 triple clamps, as soon as me and my buddy nail down our choices for the optional items. So the options are (AFAIK):

1) stock or oversize bar mounts

2) bar mount height (31.5mm [stock], 34.5mm, or 41.7mm)

3) bar postion RTS (relative to stem)

That last option is giving me grief. I believe the stock RTS is 18mm, based on measurements I've taken on my stock clamp. On the BRP website, it says my choices are 9mm or 15mm.

What are the consequences, pros/cons, of having the RTS closer to the stem or further away, so I can decide which way to go?

The stock RTS is irrelevant, as the OEM mounts tilt rearward not being upright; a different configuration altogether. This rearward sweep effectively places the bars in your lap - odd and conflicting for stand-up riding and turning unless you ride with your butt on the rear fender or do high-speed Baja/desert only.

Moving the bars forward places you in a more aggressive and favorable/dominant position over the chassis, making turning, whoops, and other control situations easier with less effort and more control using greater mechanical advantage over the machine (simple physics). Ideally, you want the line of the forks, from the axle to the crown lined up, pointing to the rider's center of mass.

For this reason my previous order (in 2000) was with the largest/greatest RTS and height available. Pros say as a rider you can never get too far forward - over the front of the bike - for aggressive or any riding for that manner. Watch any video and you will see they lean and are situation way forward.

I am average height; my son taller at 6', and both of us felt the greater RTS and height was better. This opens up the cockpit as a added benefit. (Truth being, most of us would not be able to tell the difference between the two, 9 vs. 15; maybe the top pros.) For sure either the 9mm or 15mm will be a vast improvement alone over the stock sweep backs!

Jim is real good at working with you to your satisfaction; I know he would you completely satisfied, at least that has been my experiences with him. Luke I have not dealt with until recently on this order, and Jim was right there with him in the office when we were on the phone.

placelast: Yeah, I get that the stock setup has the awful sweep rearward.

But you said ideally it should all be lined up with the front axle. Unless I'm mis-interpreting the diagram about RTS on the BRP website, the 9mm offset brings the centre of the bars closer to the stem than the 15mm. Wouldn't the 9mm offset put things more in line with the axle (because it's closer to the steering stem)?

Ideally, you want the line of the forks, from the axle to the crown lined up, pointing to the rider's center of mass.

For this reason my previous order (in 2000) was with the largest/greatest RTS and height available.

No; quite the contrary. A rider's center-of-mass is at or near the belly button, a common denominator in all sports. Dirt biking is no different.

Imagine a vector pointing forward out and away from the body from the belly button, in a "Z" direction. And imagine a second vector pointing away from the front axle, in line with the forks pointing toward the rider. In most situations, this latter is misaligned and points to the rider's upper torso or shoulders, Although it is not completely possible to align the two, we have the means for improvement and bring them closer to alignment.

(Notice pros, especially trials riders when they are attacking obstacles are way forward with the bars in their lap. their center-of-mass is in line with the forks.)

The bars, when they have rearward sweep, or in the case of the RMX (and others like the XR, DR, KDX and the like) have rear oriented perches, exacerbating or compounding the misalignment. Note how some guys rotate their bars forward; I don't like bars rotated that way as it makes my wrists feel awkward moreover elbows too high and uncomfortable, though these riders are doing this perhaps unknowingly and inexpensively address the same alignment conflict mentioned above.

By moving the perches as far forward and as high as comfortably possible (many perches have an offset and can be rotated even further forward; as as far as height is concerned, the bars cannot be too high for sit-down riding, so a compromise must be found), this moves the rider's center-of mass, the first vector, closer to the imaginary second vector, the front forks, bringing the rider to a more aggressive and better (bike) controlling frontward position.

So perhaps it all comes down to how much you stand or should stand vs. how much you sit, and how aggressive you want to ride.

I don't race (enduros) anymore, but when I ride, a spirited, stand-up pace is preferred; even my levers are positioned for stand-up conditions. Since I rarely although do ride in the trees, moving the bars forward and upward the most I can tolerate and still be comfortable for those few times when I sit is the best for me. Your conditions may differ - the degree of compromise or placement depends upon your preference and conditions.

placelast:

My bad. :banghead:

I was (incorrectly) visualizing the bar mounts being *behind* the steering stem instead of in front of the stem. Not sure why I thought that. After a quick glance at the bike, I realized my mistake. It all makes sense to me now. Sorry you spent all that time typing out the above explanation for a silly mistake on my part. :)

I should be able to make the order for two clamps by the end of this week.

No problem, bro.

It's quite surprising I can write coherently this late in the day, even if it's a valid or invalid point. Anyone else care to comment?

I just now phoned in my order, talked to Nick, for two tripple clamps; one for me and one for my buddy (we both have 1996 RMX.) I was expecting to have to pay up front when I ordered so that is why I delayed until now, I've been arraging financing. Turns out you don't have to pay yet, so come on all you RMX guys with conventional forks, get the best setup for your ride, place an order now.

I just now phoned in my order, talked to Nick, for two tripple clamps; one for me and one for my buddy (we both have 1996 RMX.) I was expecting to have to pay up front when I ordered so that is why I delayed until now, I've been arraging financing. Turns out you don't have to pay yet, so come on all you RMX guys with conventional forks, get the best setup for your ride, place an order now.

OK Im hearing all this good feed back about these clamps, so who do I call, I here the names Nick, Jim & luke mentioned but that means nothing to me with out a busness contact number or a web site that I can check out whats the contact number I need to call, what state and town are they made in and do they have a web site.

Just ordered up a pair as well... the nice gentlemen on the other line said that we are only half way there.

Come on people, get those wallets out!!

JB

Come on people, get those wallets out!!

JB

Actually, I didn't need to use my wallet when I placed my order for 2 clamps. I'll have to pay when they are made.

So if you want a clamp, place an order NOW, then start saving your money for when they make the clamp. You don't have to pay up front.

See "Improved RMX top clamp within reach" thread below.

Moderator: I recommend this thread be closed

It seems to me that you guys have given up too soon, as they have run a batch of triple clamps through. They phoned me a week ago and asked if I was still interested in the order I placed earlier this year. I am taking 2 from them, and Mike C. at BRP says they still have 5 left after I take my 2.