Sign in to follow this  

'06 WR250 Flywheel weight?

Well, pretty simple, anyone know what the stock flywheel is for an '06 WR250? What I'm looking for is a little more bottom end "snap". I will clean the power valve, do a top end, replace the reeds (although they aren't frayed)and might try a PWK 38mm carb this spring, but I'm woundering if a lighter flywheel would help. I put a FMF Gnarly pipe and Turbine Core SA on last year and that helped quite alot, but when hill climbing I find that the bike still signs off a little early. Would running a 38mm PWK be the answer or would taking an ounce or two offf the flywheel be better? Any ideas please?

Try going either down one on your countershaft sprocket or plus two on your rear sprocket. The former will be most noticeable whereas the later will be more subtle.

A new top end will help greatly too. Put in a Wiseco Pro Lite. They're lighter than OEM and definitely result in more snap. IMO they rob torque to produce snap and horsepower. :)

Do your top end. Disassemble and clean the PV Too.

The wr250 has plenty of snap when it is fresh.

I have an FBF woods Cylinder which will give you even more

Hmmm...interesting, I went up 2 teeth on the rear and found it broke loose too easily on the hill climbs and added a 10oz flywheel weight, also have a G2 throttle to help control power in the slippery stuff. Goes to show you 2 different types of riding and style 2 completely different setups.

I've started spring cleaning my garage and found my new piston, 14 drive and a 52 tooth rear sprocket. When I got the bike I bumped the rear sprocket from a 48 to a 50. that helped, but I don't want to lose my top end speed with the 52 tooth. Maybe some sacrifice must be made to get my girth to the top. i talked to Scotty R today and I'm ordering a PWK carb and some reeds too. Hopefully the snow here goes fast.

I've started spring cleaning my garage and found my new piston, 14 drive and a 52 tooth rear sprocket. When I got the bike I bumped the rear sprocket from a 48 to a 50. that helped, but I don't want to lose my top end speed with the 52 tooth. Maybe some sacrifice must be made to get my girth to the top. i talked to Scotty R today and I'm ordering a PWK carb and some reeds too. Hopefully the snow here goes fast.

Do one mod at a time to see what does what. You will be shocked at a new top end if the one you have now is worn well. :)

If you loose top speed, so what unless you're racing IMO.

did a compression test today. first try was 11500 psi then the next two were 10000 psi. used 3 kicks per test. does this sound close? any idea on what the compression should be?

did a compression test today. first try was 11500 psi then the next two were 10000 psi. used 3 kicks per test. does this sound close? any idea on what the compression should be?

Got to be some conversion errors on that PSI reading. Sounds more like 115 and 110 psi. You ought to be between 170-220 psi depending on your base gasket thickness and of course your ring seal and cylinder condition. Time for a tear down IMO.

Conversion error!!! kpa, not psi, my bad. ya, deffinatly time for a top end. Ya, my brain got stuck in nutral and I panic reved.