Sign in to follow this  

Coolant leak

There is a small hole (1/8" diameter) in the case behind the water pump that has always been there but after a new top end (not the first) it now drips coolant at a pretty constant stream. its a 2001 yz125 but im pretty sure most to all bikes have it(??). Ideas??

That is a hole that goes to a cavity between the oil seal and water seal on the water pump shaft. You have a bad seal on the water pump. Either the shaft seal itself or maybe an o-ring that seals the impeller to the shaft.

Yep, it's called a "weep hole". Your water pump seal is bad alright. Same thing happened on my YZ250, pretty simple fix. You'll have to drain the coolant and oil, take the water pump cover and the right outer case off and everything is in the case. No special tools required though a manual makes it a lot easier. Replace the pump shaft seal is the minimum fix, but I'd recommend replacing both seals (one for water, one for oil). If one is gone, the other probably isn't far behind. The shaft on mine had a big groove in it so I had to replace it too along with the bearing that it rides on. If your shaft is still smooth your alright there, but if it has a groove worn in it, and you plan on keeping the bike for very long, better replace it too or you'll be doing everything again, along with the shaft soon.

The whole mess, shaft, both seals, bearing, and all gaskets cost me $100. Shaft is the big ticket item of course at $56 I think it was.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Weep hole was what i wanted lol. I kept thinkin peep hole haha.

Im pretty sure i just need 6 and 7 and?? Ill go tear it apart and see what i need i guess lol. Shoudl be real easy but sometimes little stuff turns big:banghead:

description.jpg

Weep hole was what i wanted lol. I kept thinkin peep hole haha.

Im pretty sure i just need 6 and 7 and?? Ill go tear it apart and see what i need i guess lol. Shoudl be real easy but sometimes little stuff turns big:banghead:

description.jpg

It's as easy as it looks. 6 and 7 should do the trick, just have a look at the shaft (#1) and make sure the bearing (#8) spins freely.:)

• Like 1

well i got it all apart and im going to need 678 and possibly 1. Thanks guys:thumbsup: