Sign in to follow this  

drz fork spring install?

got an 05 110 and want it a little harder for my girlfriend and i just got some springs but the fork springs? how do i get them in and out? there is only a tiny allen at the bottom and nothing else. i need these things in

help please

after you take off the plastic caps at the top, there is a metal disk that is recessed in the fork. what you need to do is push that disk down without compressing the fork itself. this will expose a clip inside the upper fork tube. once you remove that clip, slowly let the disk out. be careful, if you just let it go it will go flying. after that disk is removed you can compress the fork easily so that you can remove the spring. it should come right out and then you can just drop the hd spring in. you dont need to mess with the allen screw at the bottom. that is for the damping rod. might i sugest that if the rider is under 130 lbs that you only install one hd for spring and leave the other stock. if they think it is too soft still then you can just go back and install the other side.

Don't forget to loose'n the top tripple clamp pinch bolt or you can't push down on the disk to remove the circle clip .. :)

Okay, so how do you apply enough pressure to keep the cap down while you remove the clip? I have the top clamp loose and can move the plug down, but doing that and trying to remove the clip at the same time seems impossible. What is the secret? The shop manual is useless!!!

If it's this tough with the regular/stock springs in, I can only imagine what it will be like trying to put it back together with the heavier springs... yikes.

never mind, I was able to use a rather long wood clamp to latch onto the lower clamp and cinch down on the cap and still have room to remove the smallish circlip... Would be helpful if the shop manual detailed a similar process... just says remove the cap and springs... Nice!!!