Sign in to follow this  

Stock pipe vs PC platinum

For those of you who have yz250s with stock pipes, and are considering an aftermarket unit you might want to think twice. I run an 05 yz250 formerly with a ProCircuit platinum pipe. I added the pipe when the bike was new before I really got to know it's stock manners . For the past four years I've been happily running the PC pipe with no complaints. The other day I thew the stocker on just to see what it was like. OMG what a difference! It took me half a day of riding to get used to it. The stock pipe give this motor way more bottom end with a mellower hit that comes on sooner however it has little less top end, but more over-rev than the PC pipe. What this translated to for me was the ability to pull corners in a gear higher than the with the PC pipe. I felt this added more traction, and made a more controllable easier to ride bike that hooks up better. And to think the stocker has been collecting dust in a corner in my garage for all this time. Just my 2 cents.

Yes the pipe is very good. I am only thinking about changing the stock silencer to FMF shorty.

Thats the same observation may of us had. You can fix your PC pipe quite easily. Search "aggiemoto" and "pipe spacer". A pipe spacer in the pc pipe gives a really positive effect and makes it perform much like a stocker.

The PC pipe is really only good for goon riding.

Or for fast riders who like to ride their bikes in the higher RPMs. I liked the PC setting more than the stock setting. Not that the stock pipe is bad, just that I prefer to hear my bike rev.

I had a 06 w/ stock pipe that I really liked. I put a stock 05 pipe on and it lost a bit on top but really pulled hard out of the corners. Well, I sold the bike now but I still have the 05 pipe (pretty much mint condition) if anyone is interested.

i like the stocker for indoor but for outdoor i like the PC with a .125" spacer i have tried many back to backs but the PC just pulls so much longer and works good on outdoor tracks, the PC with a pipe spacer, a GYTR flywheel, stock gearing, and JD jet kit is my choice for outdoors, i have done alot of back to back testing becase i have my own track with my shop right there its easy to do a bunch of motos with different set-ups. for indoor AX the PC isnt very good, they GYTR flywheel kills it too, indoor i do 13-50, stock pipe, and stock flywheel. i use to always run a stock pipe with .125" spacer never even tried a pc because everyone on here said they didnt work very good on the YZ's until one day last spring i got a dent in my stocker, i had to send it out to get fixed but i had an 04 YZ250 at my house that i ws doing a complete rebuild on for a freidn it had a PC so i put it on my bike so i could ride and i was very impressed, seemed a little calmer in corner making it easier to ride the corners but it seemed like 2nd and 3rd gear lasted forever it was awsome i went straight to parts store and ordered a PC works that afternoon and love it for outdoors MX, i think alot of guys on here are more off-road guys and i can say where the stocker is better there too.

for fast hare scramble's I use the PC, for technical enduro type riding the stock does work better, more low down

All a matter of personal Preference. I have the full PC exhaust on my bike and love it. but then again i ride the yz in the upper RPM's quite often which is where the PC shines over the stocker.

if you like a leisure ride doing a lot of bottom end or mid throttle riding use the stocker, but if you do a lot of upper rpm's use the PC.

Or for fast riders who like to ride their bikes in the higher RPMs. I liked the PC setting more than the stock setting. Not that the stock pipe is bad, just that I prefer to hear my bike rev.

Me too. With the PC pipe and then going to the stocker, I felt disapointed, the mid hit is considerably stroger with the PC and I felt the bike reved more freely.

All a matter of personal Preference. I have the full PC exhaust on my bike and love it. but then again i ride the yz in the upper RPM's quite often which is where the PC shines over the stocker.

if you like a leisure ride doing a lot of bottom end or mid throttle riding use the stocker, but if you do a lot of upper rpm's use the PC.

It totally is personal preference. And I dont think its a "goon" mod. Some people like the power in different areas and different deliveries. But like MX86, I too ride in the higher rpms in my woods riding for sure and the PC pipe promotes that riding style.

It totally is personal preference. And I dont think its a "goon" mod. Some people like the power in different areas and different deliveries. But like MX86, I too ride in the higher rpms in my woods riding for sure and the PC pipe promotes that riding style.

OK then, I'm coming up there. I want to ride woods beyond 1/2 throttle sometimes too. Too many trees down here to do that.:banghead: Want me to stop in Blaine to get some Opti2 for you?

We're chasing a huge project being developed by a firm from Alberta. If we get it I'll let you know. They've typically developed interstate linear pipeline projects. :banghead:

Anyway, :) I had a Pro Circuit platinum on an '03 YZ250 that I owned for about two months. If you rode that bike on the street the acceleration was insane. Amazing mid and top end but certainly very little low end power.

OK then, I'm coming up there. I want to ride woods beyond 1/2 throttle sometimes too. Too many trees down here to do that.:banghead: Want me to stop in Blaine to get some Opti2 for you?

We're chasing a huge project being developed by a firm from Alberta. If we get it I'll let you know. They've typically developed interstate linear pipeline projects. :banghead:

Anyway, :) I had a Pro Circuit platinum on an '03 YZ250 that I owned for about two months. If you rode that bike on the street the acceleration was insane. Amazing mid and top end but certainly very little low end power.

Sounds good. Let me know if you come up. The trails here have a mix of all kinds of riding speeds and trail types. We have prgrams here that remove the fallen trees that are in the way of the more popular trails.

Wow, you guys bring up a lot of good points! I use this bike for off road/desert racing and enduros, so for me, the 2 stroke nimbleness combined with the controllable traction offered by the stock pipe out weighs ultimate top end performance. My original intent with this post wasn't to bash the PC pipe, I feel its a quality piece for those who desire ultimate top end power, but for my riding needs the stock pipe dose the job a little better. I guess just like everything in life, different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the replies!:)